Job Interview, any list minute tips?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
best of luck mate. I'm sure you'll nail it!

I was looking back on my interview and come to the conclusion that I did nail it. (very modest lol) but they couldnt offer me the job as they had pre chosen who they wanted and by law they had to do interviews anyway.

Cheers man, I'll let you know how I get on :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
best of luck mate. I'm sure you'll nail it!

I was looking back on my interview and come to the conclusion that I did nail it. (very modest lol) but they couldnt offer me the job as they had pre chosen who they wanted and by law they had to do interviews anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised. I've been on all three ends of that dilemma; I've been the candidate they wanted for the job, I've interviewed for a job (like you) and later realised it was all a sham because they already had the person they wanted, and I've been on the interview panel interviewing candidates when I had someone internally who was perfect for the job. It's an unpleasant experience whichever seat you're in, but that's life. :)

Androcles

Rising Star
How do you know that? Maybe another candidate was just slightly better suited or performed slightly better than others. I don't see the point, at least in the private sector, of employing someone that is better than other candidates even if you have a preference.

I t happens a lot, I've been part of it on both sides of the desk, for example a position comes up who you would like someone from within the company to fill, you offer them the position but you still have to go through the process of advertising the position and interviewing for it.

It's not really a legal requirement, it's more an arrangement. Generally it's middle management hiring new staff but have to follow the companies procedures.

For example: I'm offered a job by the manager of a store who I know, but because it's a big chain store he can't just hire me, he has to carry out company procedure and go through all of the4 interview process including interviewing candidate despite it being a forgone conclusion.

As I said it happens a hell of a lot.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Walked into a shelf, grazed my face. All efforts to convey cool, calm and collected destroyed in 3 seconds.

steaky360

column_012-FUNNY-CAT-MEME.jpg

tom_gr7

Life Serving
@Ubusya and Androcles

yeah totally agree, in my current uni placement (with a local authority) are doing exactly the same. There are three students on my degree course who were paid by the LA go to Uni. Any jobs that come up are first advertised internally, then advertised externally even though they already have chosen those workers for the three slots. There is no chance the LA would pay say 80k (in wages and fees) for each student/worker to go to uni and then not employ them afterwards. Annoyingly, I will be applying for jobs there in the next few weeks, although, I have a feeling they have already chosen who they want, but just have to go through the advertisement/interview process.

@Nathan,
You did that in the interview? tbh, that just sounds like you were nervous. Which is a good thing, as it shows that you care enough to be nervous.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
@Nathan,
You did that in the interview? tbh, that just sounds like you were nervous. Which is a good thing, as it shows that you care enough to be nervous.

Sure did! Ah well. They said they'd >probably< get back to me this afternoon, as the clock ticks closer to 5 I'm starting to worry.... they did say not to worry if not, as it might be Monday. But I can't help but feel that means unsuccessful...

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Sure did! Ah well. They said they'd >probably< get back to me this afternoon, as the clock ticks closer to 5 I'm starting to worry.... they did say not to worry if not, as it might be Monday. But I can't help but feel that means unsuccessful...

Euphemisms aplenty :)

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
So NO phonecall. But word on the rumour mill is it will be Tuesday until they decide. So great. Stewing all weekend :p

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
<snip>

Annoyingly, I will be applying for jobs there in the next few weeks, although, I have a feeling they have already chosen who they want, but just have to go through the advertisement/interview process.

<snip>

Then treat them as a learning experience if you know you won't get the job. It's very hard to get real interview experience and yet it makes a huge difference when you come to the job interview that really matters. So don't be afraid to ask them questions, don't worry about taking time to think about what answer you give to their questions and think about how you're feeling, teach yourself to be calmer, breathe regularly. They are going to be wasting your time so waste theirs and use that time to get used to being in that seat. And when you get the rejection letters do write back and ask how you performed at the interview. You might not get an answer but any that you do get will help you become better.

I've interviewed people, we know you're nervous and I have never asked a trick question nor tired to trip anyone up. I have asked questions that I want the candidate to think about and where the best answer was "that's a complex question, can I have a moment to think about it please?". Interviews (proper interviews at least) are not a test, if you hadn't passed the test you wouldn't have been called to interview. The interview is to find out who you are, how you approach problems, how you think, what sort of interpersonal skills you have and, often, to flesh out what's on your CV.

Don't get too confident though, interviews are supposed to make you nervous and a candidate who isn't the tiniest bit nervous rings alarm bells. :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah totally agree, in my current uni placement (with a local authority) are doing exactly the same. There are three students on my degree course who were paid by the LA go to Uni. Any jobs that come up are first advertised internally, then advertised externally even though they already have chosen those workers for the three slots. There is no chance the LA would pay say 80k (in wages and fees) for each student/worker to go to uni and then not employ them afterwards. Annoyingly, I will be applying for jobs there in the next few weeks, although, I have a feeling they have already chosen who they want, but just have to go through the advertisement/interview process.

Then treat them as a learning experience if you know you won't get the job. It's very hard to get real interview experience and yet it makes a huge difference when you come to the job interview that really matters. So don't be afraid to ask them questions, don't worry about taking time to think about what answer you give to their questions and think about how you're feeling, teach yourself to be calmer, breathe regularly. They are going to be wasting your time so waste theirs and use that time to get used to being in that seat. And when you get the rejection letters do write back and ask how you performed at the interview. You might not get an answer but any that you do get will help you become better.

I've interviewed people, we know you're nervous and I have never asked a trick question nor tired to trip anyone up. I have asked questions that I want the candidate to think about and where the best answer was "that's a complex question, can I have a moment to think about it please?". Interviews (proper interviews at least) are not a test, if you hadn't passed the test you wouldn't have been called to interview. The interview is to find out who you are, how you approach problems, how you think, what sort of interpersonal skills you have and, often, to flesh out what's on your CV.

Don't get too confident though, interviews are supposed to make you nervous and a candidate who isn't the tiniest bit nervous rings alarm bells. :)

thanks for the reply Ubuysa, I feel totally confident in interviews, quite enjoy it to be honest. It's not often you get the chance to show off what you know and what you can do. Although, I was correct, all three jobs went internally to the three students. I anticipated it and knew it was going to happen. But my manager spoke to my on Monday and told me there were jobs coming up and i must apply, which admittedly gave me some hope. Only to be told today all jobs went internally :( and i didnt even get a look in, which is what annoyed me really.

I happen to know one of the students that got the job I wanted. She's a right waste of space spent the last three years whinging through the degree/placements. I heard that she did bad in the interview as well., but still she got the job. Their loss i guess.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Didn't get job :(

But they offered me a part time job in the same role - which I declined - I can't afford to work part time.