Job Interviews

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This is worth a read, it tells you a little about the man and contains some useful advice for anyone interviewing for a job (or conducting the interview for that matter)....

https://greekreporter.com/2021/11/05/jeff-bezos-applicant/

I asked prospective candidates for a system support position in a mainframe data centre to talk me through how they'd go about painting a wall in the interview room. You find out what people's thought processes are when you do that, you find out how logical they are, how detailed they are, and how they work under a bit of pressure. To those who didn't start out by establishing what colour the wall should be painted (and many didn't do that, they got straight into the mechanics of painting) I'd tell them that the boss just came in and didn't like the colour - what will they do about that? It's not a trick question, it's about finding out who people are and how they think. :)

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This reminds me of this classic story...

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
This reminds me of this classic story...

When you're filling a technical job the CV tells you pretty much all you need to know about the applicant's technical skills, that's what got them to the interview. What you're looking for (well, what I would look for) is whether this person will fit in the team, whether they're rules based or a free thinker, whether they can be left to do stuff on their own or whether they'll need hand-holding, and whether this is a long-term job for them or just a quick stepping-stone to somewhere else. I loved the two Jeff Bezos questions because he discovered who the candidate was and how well she would fit in the company. That's what interviews are for IMO. :)

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
This is worth a read, it tells you a little about the man and contains some useful advice for anyone interviewing for a job (or conducting the interview for that matter)....

https://greekreporter.com/2021/11/05/jeff-bezos-applicant/

I asked prospective candidates for a system support position in a mainframe data centre to talk me through how they'd go about painting a wall in the interview room. You find out what people's thought processes are when you do that, you find out how logical they are, how detailed they are, and how they work under a bit of pressure. To those who didn't start out by establishing what colour the wall should be painted (and many didn't do that, they got straight into the mechanics of painting) I'd tell them that the boss just came in and didn't like the colour - what will they do about that? It's not a trick question, it's about finding out who people are and how they think. :)
I had a panic attack in my last job interview (going after a promotion about 2 years ago) and that was with the person who would have been my manager if I was successful. I don't think I could have coped being interviewed by the boss!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I haven't had a proper interview, or applied for a role, for about 30 years - all my job offers come word of mouth and I just have a quick chat with whichever director is holding the purse strings for the project to ensure whether I think I'd be suitable and whether I want the job!

God help me when I need a proper job :oops: