Just a little question

Aki

I just ordered my rig and i was wondering if it will run without a RAID and SSD CACHE DRIVE i dont really know what those are..
Sorry for the noob question -_-

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Well, I can't tell you for certain if your rig can do these things but I expect that if it came from pcs it probably could. A ssd cache drive is a small SSd that stores the most accessed programs and data so that it can be accessed super fast using the solid state speed. RAID is a little more complicated, basically there is two main types: raid 0 and raid 1. For both you need at least two of the same sized hdd or ssd. Raid 1 takes the two or more drives and when you write data to one drive, it writes to the other one as well. This means that you have a constant backup for a hdd failure. Therefore, if an hdd dies, you still have the data backed up so can put in a new drive and tell the pc to re build the drive. Very sorry but I have to go now so will explain the rest when I get to a decent Internet connection. Unless someone else beats me to it!

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Ok, to continue...the problem with RAID 1 is that if you hav 2x1tb drives, you only get 1TB of storage and no performance increase. RAID 0 is a little more complicated, you have 2x1TB drives, these will be combined, like a partition but the opposite. So you end up with a virtual 2TB drive. When you write a piece of data to the disks, it is divided up between each disk, a byte on one, then a byte on the other etc. This means that you don't have to divide your folders between two drives and you also get a performance increase. The only problem is that your data is less secure, if you lose a drive, you lose all your data. I hope this makes sense, feel free to ask me if it doesn't! You can always try utubing it, there are plenty of help videos there! I doubt you would need either thing unless money isn't really a concern. Best of luck!