Just bought a new PC...FS2020 please work!!

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Hey guys! Just sharing my specs here, hopefully this will be a breeze for the new and upcoming FS2020!

I'm not sure what the proper way is to do it here, but specs are below...? :)
Can't wait for it to be built and delivered!

Case
THERMALTAKE V200 TEMPERED GLASS RGB EDITION GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF Z490-PLUS GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W CV SERIES™ CV-650 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 80 Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

steaky360

Hi @TomBerry were you looking for some advice/comments?

If you want some advice, let us know your budget and also what monitor(s) you will be pairing the machine with and we should be able to give you some feedback.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Hey @steaky360 !

Just some advice really, to know if it’s actually a good build or not for the up and coming years ahead. I only know a slight bit about building PC’s so I’m not sure if this was the best I could come up with.

My budget was £1700, I previously had a GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 16GB RAM and an i7-8700 system so will this be a noticeable difference?

I’ve got two monitors, my main monitor is a Samsung curved monitor, 144Hz 1080p whilst my second monitor is just a basic Philips 60Hz 1080p screen so i’m not really bothered about the display on here

I’m going to be using this for the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and the “ideal” specs listed by the developers are as follows:

Intel i7-9800X
NVIDIA RTX 2080
8GB VRAM (Whatever this is, I don’t see VRAM anywhere)
32GB RAM
150GB SSD

How will my specs compared to this? Would an RTX 2070 Super be on the same line as the 2080?

Sorry if all this is rambled!!

barlew

Godlike
My first suggestion would be changed the 32GB RAM for 16 mate. There is no game out there and wont be for quite some time that requires 32GB.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
@barlew

That’s correct! I only really chose the 32GB RAM as that was the “Ideal” spec for FS2020, I guess it’ll be useful for more powerful games in the future that come out though maybe?

barlew

Godlike
@barlew

That’s correct! I only really chose the 32GB RAM as that was the “Ideal” spec for FS2020, I guess it’ll be useful for more powerful games in the future that come out though maybe?

I would say 16GB already has you future proofed to quite far in the future. From what i just googled FS2020 recommends 16GB?
I would then by extra RAM at a later date and upgrade yourself when the need arises. That way you wont be paying a premium for the upgrade.

*EDIT*I think the 2070 - 2080 cards are also overkill for 1080p even at 144hz is there the option gpr a 2060?

Last edited:

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I would say 16GB already has you future proofed to quite far in the future. From what i just googled FS2020 recommends 16GB?
I would then by extra RAM at a later date and upgrade yourself when the need arises. That way you wont be paying a premium for the upgrade.

*EDIT*I think the 2070 - 2080 cards are also overkill for 1080p even at 144hz is there the option gpr a 2060?

I’ve attached the official screenshot from FS2020 so you can see it properly :)

I guess I could’ve gone with the 2060 but I was planning on getting a 4K screen in the next few months, would this be better off with the specs I’ve chosen? So a 4K 60/144Hz screen (whichever is more affordable) and a 1080 144Hz?

Thanks for the information by the way!

Attachments

• 21DA19AC-108F-447D-AFE6-B5D95B19451E.jpeg
    21DA19AC-108F-447D-AFE6-B5D95B19451E.jpeg
    905.8 KB · Views: 211

barlew

Godlike
I see cheers for sending the attachment mate.
If you are planning on playing at 4K then you absolutely have to get an RTX and even then you will not be hitting 144Hz.
If the choice is between a 2070 super or a 2080 i would go with the 2070 super (i assume its still cheaper than the 2080).
I maintain i wouldnt bother getting 32GB of RAM yet. i would wait untill FS2020 comes out and see how it performs on 16GB.

To put it into context i have a 2070 Super and i am gaming at 1440p on ultra settings i wont get anywhere near the 144Hz fps with modern games. such as COD and R6 Siege. I probably sit around 100 - 115 FPS.

Dan79

Bronze Level Poster
I agree with Barlow, Get 16gb of the fastest RAM 3200 or 3600. This will make a bigger difference then 32gb.

I'd also probably go for the 2070s and aim for 1440 144hz or even 1440 ultrawide.

I think you need a 2080ti for even 60hz 4k.

Also look at an AMD system will cost less and should perform much better. (others will post specs i'm sure as £1700 is good for a 1440 build)

TomBerry

Bright Spark
I agree with Barlow, Get 16gb of the fastest RAM 3200 or 3600. This will make a bigger difference then 32gb.

I'd also probably go for the 2070s and aim for 1440 144hz or even 1440 ultrawide.

I think you need a 2080ti for even 60hz 4k.

Also look at an AMD system will cost less and should perform much better. (others will post specs i'm sure as £1700 is good for a 1440 build)

Thanks for the feedback! I’m unable to change the specs now unfortunately for the RAM, ah well! So do you think I should aim for a 1440 144Hz monitor to get the best results from this? Would it make much difference with an ultrawide?

barlew

Godlike
Thanks for the feedback! I’m unable to change the specs now unfortunately for the RAM, ah well! So do you think I should aim for a 1440 144Hz monitor to get the best results from this? Would it make much difference with an ultrawide?

You can usual make changes to the spec even after ordering.
That's what id be aiming for mate.
What was the final specification you ordered?

polycrac

Rising Star

You can amend the order - or even cancel it, if you are still pre-production. PCS are quite used to people doing this when they get advice on the forum.

I would advise cancelling the order if you can and waiting a day or so for all the forum regulars to take a look at your build - you'll get some great advice and end up with something better that will last longer and cost less.

TomBerry

Bright Spark
Hi guys, just a quick update :)

I didn’t really want to cancel the order, as building times are already increased so it’d take even longer to arrive. I decided to stick with the 32GB just for the FS2020’s sake, and have updated my RAM to 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB). Woop woop for RGB - could you technically say this would perform like a 64GB RAM if it’s 3200MHz?

barlew

Godlike
Hi guys, just a quick update :)

I didn’t really want to cancel the order, as building times are already increased so it’d take even longer to arrive. I decided to stick with the 32GB just for the FS2020’s sake, and have updated my RAM to 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB). Woop woop for RGB - could you technically say this would perform like a 64GB RAM if it’s 3200MHz?

That's great RAM mate i use it in my rig. The RGB gives you +20% performance in 3Dmark ;)
The RAM will perform the same as equivalent 64GB 3200MHz RAM however it obviously wont give you the same affect as having 64GB capacity (although i'm not sure why anyone would need 64GB for gaming). Have i misunderstood your question?

Great rig that you have chosen though. Now you have the wait!

TomBerry

Bright Spark
That's great RAM mate i use it in my rig. The RGB gives you +20% performance in 3Dmark ;)
The RAM will perform the same as equivalent 64GB 3200MHz RAM however it obviously wont give you the same affect as having 64GB capacity (although i'm not sure why anyone would need 64GB for gaming). Have i misunderstood your question?

Great rig that you have chosen though. Now you have the wait!

You got the question right, what I was trying to say was if I got the 16GB RAM at 3200MHz and it performs the equivalent to the 32GB, then would the 32GB RAM at 3200MHz perform like a 64GB :) I’m terrible at describing i’m sorry hahaha

You should cancel it and get an AMD build.

I have absolutely no knowledge with AMD builds otherwise I’d do this!

barlew

Godlike
You got the question right, what I was trying to say was if I got the 16GB RAM at 3200MHz and it performs the equivalent to the 32GB, then would the 32GB RAM at 3200MHz perform like a 64GB :) I’m terrible at describing i’m sorry hahaha

I have absolutely no knowledge with AMD builds otherwise I’d do this!

No it makes no difference mate. If you have 16GB of RAM and then 8GB of RAM performing at double the speed it still does not provide psuedo 16GB lower speed RAM. It will load data into memory much quicker yes but once that 8GB is full its full so you do not get that extra memory.

I am not sure i explained that particularly well but does it make sense?

TomBerry

Bright Spark
No it makes no difference mate. If you have 16GB of RAM and then 8GB of RAM performing at double the speed it still does not provide psuedo 16GB lower speed RAM. It will load data into memory much quicker yes but once that 8GB is full its full so you do not get that extra memory.

I am not sure i explained that particularly well but does it make sense?

I completely get it now - makes sense :) At least I can’t run out of space with 32GB RAM now haha, not sure what would even get it that high but always good to have extra if needed!

That’s what we’re here for, an AMD build would give far better performance and longevity as well as security.

Maybe on my next build I’ll get an AMD build, will see how long this one lasts me :)

Has anyone ordered a PC recently anyway? Is it usually taking the full 12-14 business day build time for people?

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Dude, you need to order an AMD cpu on THIS build, not next time. Cancel it. Your impatience might save you a few days of getting an Intel machine earlier but it will cost you using a naff and inferior pc for years. Ludicrous choice. Cancel it, post your budget, you'll get a suggested build today and you can reorder it today. You'd have a far better AMD pc in two weeks.