Just bought this spec :D

Yamikotai

Expert
So I just bought this spec :D I'll be putting 2x8GB 1600MHz into it as well as my 120GB OCZ Agility 3. Review, pics and benchmarks incoming as soon as it arrives in an estimated 10 days (though I expect it will be slightly longer, there seems to be a 'september rush' with all the student loans coming through).
Oh, and I also picked up some MX-4 thermal paste off Amazon which I'll put on (I'll run and report burn tests before and after for that).

Chassis & Display
Genesis IV: 15.6" AUO Matte 95% Gamut LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£79)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3740QM (2.70GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
2GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 2GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD SCORPIO BLUE WD10JPVT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd/3rd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
2 x 6 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery Pack, 62.16WH (One Spare) (£59)
Power Lead & Adaptor
2 x UK Power Lead & 65W AC Adaptor (£16)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)

If anyone's wondering why I bought two power adaptors, it's because I tend to always one plugged in and routed through the back of my desk, and one always left in my backpack. Saves time and saves me from the times when I forget my charger.
Also, it might seem odd but while I've been lurking and occasionally posting while waiting for the opportunity to order, I've noticed there's a great community here. I think you can all look forward to/flee in dread from me sticking round here :)

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
nice mate, might be a good idea to update the firmware on the ssd before you install ya OS onto it.

Yamikotai

Expert
nice mate, might be a good idea to update the firmware on the ssd before you install ya OS onto it.

I definitely will. I have a 60GB Agility 3 I bought for my desktop around June last year - had sooo many issues with it until I updated the firmware. Luckily the SSD arrived several days ago so I've plenty of time to update it using my desktop before the Genesis arrives.

Yamikotai

Expert
Still waiting for it - 7th working day now on Processing. Might not get it in time for uni... Still, should be worth the wait, though.

Yamikotai

Expert
Cool, thanks :) Looking forward to it.

And I see you went the same route as I have and are doing the RAM +HDD yourself :)

Edit: Also cool, it just went into Building.

Last edited:

forbiddenloli

Yeah - ram will be this friday and HDD next month :) (gonna use acronis HDD clone to copy the entire HDD to the momentus :) )

Should be done and dispatched for both of us tomorrow at the latest

Yamikotai

Expert
I bought my SSD+RAM the same day as my laptop so they arrived ages ago :p At least I have time to update the SSD's firmware.