Just jumped onthe appl train and ...

Androcles

Rising Star
I've always wanted an iPhone but i've always held the belief that although they are good phones they are extremely over priced for what they are, so i've never bothered and put up with my Blackberry for many years.

A friend of mine recently decided to buy an all singing all dancing new android phone that takes dual sims etc and asked me if i wanted to buy his iPhone 4s, i was shocked when he told me he only wanted £100 for it, considering the fatc he is a QVC junky who buys stuff and forgets to even open the packages and this phone has been in a box untouched for over a year, so effectively it's brand new :D

Anway, i spent some time playing with it once it was charged as you do, updated to iOS 7 etc, then thoguht to myself "oh the iPhone can handle REAL games, not those silly things like snake and tetris etc that i'm used to on phones!" so i went to the App store and spent an hour searching around for free games, found one i liked and downloaded it.

I'm now on my 9th hour of playing Tetris on my new iPhone .. oh the irony!

Anyone else got an ironic story about their Apple product usage?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I had an apple product once, then I realised that it sucked and I was being ripped off. I moved to Android and Windows Phone and I've never looked back!

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
That was uncalled for Wozza; £100 for a practically brand new 4s is a bargain.

Glad to see you're enjoying it Andro :) I personally am a sucker for Stick Cricket! Great toilet game.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah , used to have an iMac, a Macbook Pro and an iPhone, and im not going to lie it was because of the brand. Then when i decided to get into PC gaming i realized the limitations and sold the lot and never looked back.

Each to their own.

Phones is a different story as they can all pretty much run anything designed within their generation.

Androcles

Rising Star
That was uncalled for Wozza; £100 for a practically brand new 4s is a bargain..

Yup, althought to be honest, in the condition it's in CEX offer £238 (store credit, £197 cash), i could sell it for a proffit and buy a decent Android phone, and still have change :p

Kalisnoir

Super Star
Although I dislike Apple as a company I can't knock their products. I currently own a MacBook Pro, iPhone, Apple TV and an Airport Express and although the 2 second delay to my speakers on the Airport is something that I dislike, there are software solutions available to make it easier to live with. I can't really knock anything else that I have minus the fact my phone is slower now with iOS 7 but that was expected anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I like Android, between my last iPhone (3) and this one (4) I had 2 android phones and loved it. The reason I will be going iPhone again though is because of how well Apple products work together. iMessage for example is something I would miss as I can use it on my Mac to text people who also have an iPhone, AirPlay for my Airport and my Apple TV as well to stream both audio and video.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
iMessage for example is something I would miss as I can use it on my Mac to text people who also have an iPhone, AirPlay for my Airport and my Apple TV as well to stream both audio and video.
iMessage is great. I found the iphone5s quite a nice upgrade from the 4s, the 4G is something that really improves internet access (unless my previous network provider was pants), I haven't tried an android phone yet I am just used to an iphone.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I'm back on iPhone after my one bad experience with an Android and all's well. I do only use for calling, texting and net browsing though so I am probably overpaying for a handset that I don't use to anywhere near its full capability.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I'm back on iPhone after my one bad experience with an Android and all's well. I do only use for calling, texting and net browsing though so I am probably overpaying for a handset that I don't use to anywhere near its full capability.

No angry birds?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
What do you think guys, loyal Google and Android user, due a phone upgrade, currently own a Galaxy S2, bit disappointed by the amount of small niggles with it even though it's only 2 years old, is an iPhone the way forward or would I be mad going for one over an S4? ;)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Nexus 5! Get the nexus 5!

Samsung aren't really the best on Android, I prefer the phones from the competition and thought that the S4 was a bit disappointing.

HTC One, LG G2, Note 3, Lumia 1020, Lumia 1520 etc

Hate the feel of the Galaxy S3 and S4, the plastic makes it feel so cheap.

Make sure you get a phone that is going to run 4.4 KitKat and you won't be disappointed

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I'm not keen on the HTC One or any of the Lumia's, haven't really looked into the LG or Note.

I'll check out the Nexus 5 though :) Not sure it's in my upgrade options to be honest though.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
The lumias are brilliant if you are interested in photography, my lumia 920 is still better than any android or iphone ive compared it to, and the Nokia Camera software is just amazing, giving you access to settings only really found on a decent camera.

And I really like the HTC, best design I think and great build quality, biggest disappointment is the camera tbh.

The nexus 5 you may want to buy from google play direct, then ask your network if you can not have an upgrade and instead get a cheaper contract, you may save money compared to an iphone or galaxy because the nexus phones are very cheap for their high specs!

D1craig

Enthusiast
I have always disliked apple stuff. But I did get the iPhone 3GS 2 years ago and it was the best phone I have ever used. I upgraded once ios7 came out to the 5s. I got the 3GS cos it was free on £15 a month with exactly what I needed, now I'm paying £43 a month after paying £120 for the phone lmao.

Anyway did you know why they changed the adaptor that plugs into the phone? It's because they can put a chip in it to stop all the cheap products that Apple are not getting a % of profit from from working with their products. I found this out the hard way when I bought a charger pack that was built for iPhone 5 before they got ios7 (which adds even more security features ( not for our benefit but for their pocket)).

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I have always disliked apple stuff. But I did get the iPhone 3GS 2 years ago and it was the best phone I have ever used. I upgraded once ios7 came out to the 5s. I got the 3GS cos it was free on £15 a month with exactly what I needed, now I'm paying £43 a month after paying £120 for the phone lmao.

Anyway did you know why they changed the adaptor that plugs into the phone? It's because they can put a chip in it to stop all the cheap products that Apple are not getting a % of profit from from working with their products. I found this out the hard way when I bought a charger pack that was built for iPhone 5 before they got ios7 (which adds even more security features ( not for our benefit but for their pocket)).

Haha yep, typical apple, I believe that some accessory makers have broken into it and allowed it to charge and transfer data, but its hit and miss trying to find one. The lightning connector or whatever its called is also supposed to be quite a bit quicker although not very noticeable on USB 2.0

Kalisnoir

Super Star

If they do use a chip to stop 3rd party chargers I imagine it's also heavily to do with the fact cheap chargers were exploding on people and they damage the sockets.

D1craig

Enthusiast
If they do use a chip to stop 3rd party chargers I imagine it's also heavily to do with the fact cheap chargers were exploding on people and they damage the sockets.

well that is what they would want you to believe but there are more to them stories than what most people have read and they are using it to make more money.

EDIT - plus they dont do anything with the part that plugs into the wall just the end of the wire that connects to the phone.

mishra

Rising Star
You say that... last time I wanted to save money on my macbook charger (which died after few years) I decided to buy "finest china ebay special charger" that cost me 3 times less. When it arrived it look the real deal. It was half the weight of normal charger thought. It worked for 3 days, getting itself ridiculously hot.. then my girlfriend said her macbook started to make screeching sound and then the charger died! It worked for whole 3 days! Hopefully no visible damage to the laptop.
We ended up buying new charger (yes super expensive from apple shop) but hey it still works. I am not saying this is always the case (I must have been really unlucky) but logically why would I want to connect a super cheap charger to my few hundred pounds worth device!?

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I think it is silly going with anything unbranded anyway, you should have maybe looked at a 3rd party charger that was from a well respected brand with plenty of reviews available on the internet