Just ordered a Defiance IX

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
I was hoping to wait until later in the year to see what new comes out, but issues with my ageing Vortex IV meant I need to get a move on!
Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte, Full HD, 144Hz, Pantone Validated 72% NTSC, LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 3200MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB CORSAIR MP400 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 3480 MB/R, 1880 MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB CORSAIR MP400 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 3480 MB/R, 3000 MB/W)
External DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x Slim USB 2.0 External Blu-Ray Writer
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hellow,
I think we'll be happy to give you some help if you give us some hints on what you want and need ^^
And, of course, what's your budget and your futur uses ^^
Oh, and can you provide us the configuration link too ? ^^

edit : you should at least take win10 instead of win11

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
edit : you should at least take win10 instead of win11
Well I thought I am going to have to go to Windows 11 eventually so why not start out with it? Is it really that bad right now that I should delay switching until issues are fixed?

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If i'm not wrong (with what i saw here ^^) there is still some bug/problems that are not ironing yet ^^"
So, yeah, i think win10 is still better ^^

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
And yes, I should have posted first and discussed the requirements, but my current machine won't even boot up reliably - or possibly even at all right now - so I just went ahead.

I don't need the best gaming laptop in the world, but I want something that will last me a few years. I'm not into playing all the latest games on the highest settings, so I think a 3060 will do.

I don't trust TongFang so I went for a Clevo. I would have preferred to buy an AMD processor but that isn't an option in a Clevo right now.

I don't want an enormous desktop replacement so I went for the Defiance instead of the Recoil. Also, money.

I currently have 2TB in my laptop and it's mostly full, so I went for 3TB.

I was tempted to go for a FuzeDrive but PCS support have no idea how to use one so I steered clear of that.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What about the destian ? (you can look at the firestrike score of my sis' laptop)
It's an awesome 15" dtr with amd and a pcie4 ssd port (so you can go with a 980 pro samsung)

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
I don't use an external monitor so I want the 17" size. And yes I cheaped out on the SSDs to save money, even the slowest SSD should be fast enough for me, I've seen real world tests that show that the extra speed doesn't really show up in user experience.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Fair enough :D
Well, in this case, this is a really good spec' you've done here ^^
(if you had the money, i would suggest to take a samsung 970 as primary drive, as they are better, if i'm not wrong^^)
As it's not shown in you post, i also suggest the 1 year dead pixel warranty and at least the silver warranty (the gold would be better if you can ^^) and do not take bullguard ^^
I hope this help ^^

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't use an external monitor so I want the 17" size. And yes I cheaped out on the SSDs to save money, even the slowest SSD should be fast enough for me, I've seen real world tests that show that the extra speed doesn't really show up in user experience.
Those reports were likely before windows 11 and direct storage which is also coming to windows 10. Makes a big difference amd the faster the better.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Those reports were likely before windows 11 and direct storage which is also coming to windows 10. Makes a big difference amd the faster the better.
Hm, I might upgrade the main drive then. Although, the read speed of the 970 Evo Plus is only marginally higher, the write speed is way faster. It's only £18 more. Done!

The order amendment process is really cool. I didn't know it existed, thanks for the tip.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hm, I might upgrade the main drive then. Although, the read speed of the 970 Evo Plus is only marginally higher, the write speed is way faster. It's only £18 more. Done!

The order amendment process is really cool. I didn't know it existed, thanks for the tip.
980 pro would be the recommendation. 970 is gen 3.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
I particularly like the keyboard layout, that \ key is in exactly the right location which is rare for a laptop and important for a programmer.
1642765295351.png