Just ordered my 17" Vortex III 7970m - rolling commentary!

So after much contemplation and assistance from you guys on the forum, I finally decided to bite the bullet and order.

I decided to go for the 17" model over the 15.6 due to the additional drive bay- I like to play the odd dvd now and again, so I can't really remove the optical to put a second drive in. However, if I do that with the 17" I'll have the choice of up to three drives, yay.

Then after reading around some more and seeing that AMD fixed their drivers, I decided I would go with the 7970m.

Then finally after suggestion on the forum, I went for the WD scorpio black 500gb drive. 1tb is too much 500gb is nice- it will be wiped and placed in the secondary drive bay, I have a 240gb OCZ Agility 3 to take out of my current laptop.

So- why am I replacing my laptop?

I'm currently using an ASUS n61jq. It is a first gen i7 laptop with 4gb of ram and a radeon HD 5730. It's a little bit outdated for gaming now- I've upgraded it as much as I can: upgraded ram to 8gb and replaced the stock 5k rpm drive with an SSD.

However- it was fine up until recently, it's starting to run slow and it's starting to run HOT!

here's an example of my gaming temps (bare in mind this thing is on my lap half of the time!)

OoQFHtj

after seeing this I checked out the internals and (I cleaned the laptop out just under a year ago) there are no dust bunnies causing problems. I gave it a quick wipe around with a soft brush and still hot- the fan is working too.

SO I got my plan and decided on what I wanted.. and here I am. Second day of production, anxious to receive my new laptop :D.

I have to say, I was expecting problems with the finance option as I am relatively young and do not have a large income (part-timer) but hitachi capital allowed me to complete and sign my application online and didn't need me to send in any payslips or additional information. The application was complete within about 5 minutes and within the hour I received confirmation from PCS letting me know they received the successful finance application and would move onto the next step!

This morning my order went from processing to pre-production - I hope this stage doesn't last too long! I'm so excited.

Here are the specifications of the laptop I have ordered :) :

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8 Standard Edition 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,204.00 including VAT and delivery.