Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio with his fully restored tube cutting system

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry, I know I'm a real nerd with this stuff and you guys probably aren't so much, but I find it fascinating.

For those in the k.now, I'm hugely into valves in audio gear, for me they produce a warmth and softness that when combines with vinyl is just an absolute winning formulation and hard to beat.

This is my amp:
20220312_150842.jpg

But anyway, Kevin Gray is a mastering and lacquer cutting engineer, extremely famous in the Jazz world, although does lots of other genres as well. He pretty much heads up all the Blue Note Tone Poets and Classic Series releases currently, does a lot of stuff for Vinyl Me Please, and for Analogue productions

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a mastering engineer call Rudy Van Gelder who mastered and cut most of the now infamous jazz records of the time. Kevin hugely respects Rudy's work, and actually created his cutting system from a lot of stuff he learnt from Rudy's setups back in the day.

There's a great video on Kevins tube system at Cohearent, worth a watch for those obsessed with analogue sound.

Last edited:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Sorry, I know I'm a real nerd with this stuff and you guys probably aren't so much, but I find it fascinating.

For those in the k.now, I'm hugely into valves in audio gear, for me they produce a warmth and softness that when combines with vinyl is just an absolute winning formulation and hard to beat.

This is my amp:
View attachment 35737

But anyway, Kevin Gray is a mastering and lacquer cutting engineer, extremely famous in the Jazz world, although does lots of other genres as well. He pretty much heads up all the Blue Note Tone Poets and Classic Series releases currently, does a lot of stuff for Vinyl Me Please, and for Analogue productions

Back in the 50's and 60's there was a mastering engineer call Rudy Van Gelder who mastered and cut most of the now infamous jazz records of the time. Kevin hugely respects Rudy's work, and actually created his cutting system from a lot of stuff he learnt from Rudy's setups back in the day.

There's a great video on Kevins tube system at Cohearant, worth a watch for those obsessed with analogue sound.

I have to admit that every time i see something like your amp, i'm in awe