Keyboard and mouse not working - cant input anything

lsg

I have tried all the usb ports and cannot get my mouse or keyboard to work. I am using another computer for troubleshooting and think I need to update the drivers (possibly). The problem is how to I do this when I have no way of inputting anything?? I am very reluctant to reboot as I can see no way of logging back in.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Lets start at the beginning, is this a new PC or one that has been working for some time? If it's a new one is it a PCS build, if so have you contacted PCS? If it's not a new PC what happened before your keyboard and mouse stopped working?

Try booting the Windows installation disk and see whether the keyboard and mouse work there, that will at least give you some idea of whether it's a hardware or software issue.

More detailed information would really help though.....

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I have tried all the usb ports and cannot get my mouse or keyboard to work. I am using another computer for troubleshooting and think I need to update the drivers (possibly). The problem is how to I do this when I have no way of inputting anything?? I am very reluctant to reboot as I can see no way of logging back in.

Two things re the reboot:

1) How much worse could it be? You can't use your computer as it stands and 2) a reboot may well cure it.

Rakk

The Awesome
In case rebooting doesn't fix it:

I suspect you may find that a keyboard (and/or mouse) with a PS/2 connection works (though you would need to reboot to get it to recognise said keyboard (and/or mouse) once plugged in, PS/2 isn't quite as friendly as USB) - though obviously not everyone has them lying around (in fact I suspect not many people), but if you happen to have any friends/colleagues that have one and who would lend you one it may help cos with a keyboard you can at least log in, and can check various bits and pieces.
Edit: note: this will obviously only work if your PC has a PS/2 port on the back of it (whilst a lot of motherboards still do, not all do), also I'm assuming we're talking about a desktop here as well

[And yes at some point I had a USB problem on a PC which meant I had to replace the USB drivers which meant I had to uninstall them (at which point anything connected via USB stopped working) and reboot - once logged in it automatically reinstalled the drivers (correctly).]

Last edited: