Keyboard marks on screen on 17.3` Valeon

Azryon

I am in need of some advice, i received my laptop on 15 of May 2021, barely 3 weeks ago and i encountered some issues with it.
First, the laptop has been sitting on the same table since i got it cause i had a lot of work and i barely got to use it several times and today after work i noticed that on the screen i can see marks made by the keyboard, i`ve attached some photos, i dont find this reasonable at all, i`ve had a Dell Inspiron N5110 for 10 years and nothing like this happened, the laptop didn`t move from there, i didn`t push it down hard or applied any pressure on it or anything like that.
Second, the keyboard keys are peeling off, more exactly, the paint is coming off the letters, in the image you can see that the letters A,D,W and ALT are looking different already, not even 3 weeks passed..
I don`t want to sound pretentious or anything like that, but i saved almost a year to afford this laptop, as i said above, my last laptop lasted me 10 years, i take good care of my things, and i want this laptop to last me at least half of that and i don`t find this situation acceptable at all so my question is, can i do something about it ? I am afraid that i will send it for a RMA and the same thing will happen even after a RMA. Anyone else with a Valeon 17` encountered any of these issues ?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am in need of some advice, i received my laptop on 15 of May 2021, barely 3 weeks ago and i encountered some issues with it.
First, the laptop has been sitting on the same table since i got it cause i had a lot of work and i barely got to use it several times and today after work i noticed that on the screen i can see marks made by the keyboard, i`ve attached some photos, i dont find this reasonable at all, i`ve had a Dell Inspiron N5110 for 10 years and nothing like this happened, the laptop didn`t move from there, i didn`t push it down hard or applied any pressure on it or anything like that.
Second, the keyboard keys are peeling off, more exactly, the paint is coming off the letters, in the image you can see that the letters A,D,W and ALT are looking different already, not even 3 weeks passed..
I don`t want to sound pretentious or anything like that, but i saved almost a year to afford this laptop, as i said above, my last laptop lasted me 10 years, i take good care of my things, and i want this laptop to last me at least half of that and i don`t find this situation acceptable at all so my question is, can i do something about it ? I am afraid that i will send it for a RMA and the same thing will happen even after a RMA. Anyone else with a Valeon 17` encountered any of these issues ?
The TongFang laptop keys are very low quality, they're poorly painted on numbers and letters and it wears off very fast, the build quality on them is not very good, hence all the money goes into the components. Unfortunately it's just how they're made. To add insult to injury, they're not modular keyboards, they're an integrated part of the chassis, so you can't just order a replacement keyboard and fit it, you have to send the whole thing back to have the top of the chassis replaced. It's a pain.

The screen marks is another matter, suggests the laptop lid is closing too far into the chassis and applying pressure to the screen panel. That shouldn't happen at all. Not that they keyboard should happen either, but the screen marks are even more of a no no.

You're not being pretentious at all, these are expensive machines, and these are very basic issues that should not occur.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's a thread here discussing some of the pitfalls of the TongFang models:

And a bit more specifically on the keycaps:

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
I also have the Valeon and I do have similar issues with the keys is inprinting on the screen when lid is closed . Now I rarely close the lid as my laptop is placed on a cooling stand with screen open , but when I do close it , I have similar issues . I think that the frame is not deep enough to protect the LCD panel inside . It is a design flaw basically

Azryon

I also have the Valeon and I do have similar issues with the keys is inprinting on the screen when lid is closed . Now I rarely close the lid as my laptop is placed on a cooling stand with screen open , but when I do close it , I have similar issues . I think that the frame is not deep enough to protect the LCD panel inside . It is a design flaw basically
But i bought a laptop to use it as a laptop, so i can close it and take it with me wherever i go, i expect to be able to close the lid, not keep it open all the time and be scared of even closing the lid, if these issues appeard after not even 3 weeks, i dont even want to imagine how the screen will look after 5-6 months, im not gonna accept this.
The TongFang laptop keys are very low quality, they're poorly painted on numbers and letters and it wears off very fast, the build quality on them is not very good, hence all the money goes into the components. Unfortunately it's just how they're made. To add insult to injury, they're not modular keyboards, they're an integrated part of the chassis, so you can't just order a replacement keyboard and fit it, you have to send the whole thing back to have the top of the chassis replaced. It's a pain.

The screen marks is another matter, suggests the laptop lid is closing too far into the chassis and applying pressure to the screen panel. That shouldn't happen at all. Not that they keyboard should happen either, but the screen marks are even more of a no no.

You're not being pretentious at all, these are expensive machines, and these are very basic issues that should not occur.
So what are my options really ? Are there any alternatives to a RMA or is that the only solution ?
Also thanks a lot for the in-depth explanation and response.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So what are my options really ? Are there any alternatives to a RMA or is that the only solution ?
RMA has to be done as a first step.

If you felt that these were things that were a deal breaker for you, when it’s in for RMA also stipulate that due to chassis defects the device does not meet your requirements and ask for a refund.

I don’t know if that would be acceptable, certainly cannot promise anything, but that’s what I’d do.

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
RMA has to be done as a first step.

If you felt that these were things that were a deal breaker for you, when it’s in for RMA also stipulate that due to chassis defects the device does not meet your requirements and ask for a refund.

I don’t know if that would be acceptable, certainly cannot promise anything, but that’s what I’d do.
I might look into that myself after the summer holiday`s . But yes.... the frame is too thin to actually protect the LCD panel and one can actually feel the panel touch the keys when lid is closed , when the frame should prohibit that from happening. This is nothing PCS can " repair " as it is a design flaw . It is a pity as the laptop otherwise is performing well .

ColHam

Azryon, I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Valeon. I agree that for the amount of money spent, you shouldn't be experiencing such problems.

I haven't noticed these problems on mine, but if I did, I'd be straight onto PCS to arrange an RMA.

Just before I bought the Valeon, I had purchased a £1900 Asus ROG laptop through Amazon. The day after it arrived, I noticed it had a hot pixel left of centre screen. It was tiny but enough to bug me like crazy. Naturally, it went back to Amazon and I couldn't get a replacement as it was out of stock. Like I said, when I'm spending a significant amount of money on a laptop, I expect it to be close to perfect. It's not an unreasonable expectation to have.

I hope you get it sorted out.

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
I`m hesitant to do an RMA for the issue with the screen and keyboard marks on it when lid is closed , mainly because it might take 2-3 months before RMA is done . I might just sell it and then purchase a different laptop.

Ambassador Spock

Bronze Level Poster
I`m hesitant to do an RMA for the issue with the screen and keyboard marks on it when lid is closed , mainly because it might take 2-3 months before RMA is done . I might just sell it and then purchase a different laptop.
Personally I would recommend the RMA route. I RMA'd a Vyper 17 for a similar issue (among other issues) last summer and got a refund without too much hassle. I recently sold my Defiance 17" privately (since it was past the initial return period) and though I got a decent amount for it, I got nowhere near what I paid for it (even that it was less than a year old and had the Gold warranty). With an RMA you can likely guarantee all your money back - with a private sale you are going to lose up to 50% even if it is barely used...

Azryon

Im sending it tommorrow for an RMA, as i`ve seen that some people that have the same model didn`t experience the problems im facing, im willing to give them a second chance with wishfull thinking that maybe the RMA will solve my problem as i really like the laptop, the hardware part of it is moving in a way i`ve never experienced and i enjoy it thoroughly, but i can`t enjoy the whole of it knowing that i paid that much for something only to "lose its shine" after not even a month.
Azryon, I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Valeon. I agree that for the amount of money spent, you shouldn't be experiencing such problems.

I haven't noticed these problems on mine, but if I did, I'd be straight onto PCS to arrange an RMA.

Just before I bought the Valeon, I had purchased a £1900 Asus ROG laptop through Amazon. The day after it arrived, I noticed it had a hot pixel left of centre screen. It was tiny but enough to bug me like crazy. Naturally, it went back to Amazon and I couldn't get a replacement as it was out of stock. Like I said, when I'm spending a significant amount of money on a laptop, I expect it to be close to perfect. It's not an unreasonable expectation to have.

I hope you get it sorted out.
Thank you very much for your reply, seeing this gives me hope that maybe i just had some bad luck at first and my problem can be solved and i can actually enjoy my buy for more than a few weeks !

KevGed

I noticed this on my valeon too. There is marks on the screen from the keys. The marks wipe off but must mean the keys are touching the display. Are you planning returning yours?

KevGed

I`m hesitant to RMA mine due to the long handling time at PCS . I don`t know really
Yeah I'm thinking the same. Also if I was to ask for refund they don't have any other 3080 laptops to buy in replacement. Think I'll monitor it and if it gets worse will have to RMA. The marks clean off with a cloth so I think it's just dirt from the keys transferring on to screen. The screen appears to have no damage.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I`m hesitant to RMA mine due to the long handling time at PCS . I don`t know really
Yeah I'm thinking the same. Also if I was to ask for refund they don't have any other 3080 laptops to buy in replacement. Think I'll monitor it and if it gets worse will have to RMA. The marks clean off with a cloth so I think it's just dirt from the keys transferring on to screen. The screen appears to have no damage.
I appreciate the hesitancy, I'd probably be the same in your position, but I think you definitely need to speak to PCS about this issue and at least get it logged now as a problem that needs remedial work. I don't know this (I don't work for PCS) but given the volume of work at present, PCS may be happy to agree to repair these under warranty but defer the repair (perhaps by some months) until the RMA volume is more manageable. That would seem a win-win for both yourselves (because you won't be without the laptops for ages) and for PCS (who won't have more work piling up).

But I do think you need to speak to them now and come to some arrangement. Be careful in not agreeing just to keep the laptop as is because that might be seen as you accepting this defect, and you don't want that. Perhaps the best idea would be to ask whether the RMA manager could call you back to discuss what the best options are?

KevGed

I appreciate the hesitancy, I'd probably be the same in your position, but I think you definitely need to speak to PCS about this issue and at least get it logged now as a problem that needs remedial work. I don't know this (I don't work for PCS) but given the volume of work at present, PCS may be happy to agree to repair these under warranty but defer the repair (perhaps by some months) until the RMA volume is more manageable. That would seem a win-win for both yourselves (because you won't be without the laptops for ages) and for PCS (who won't have more work piling up).

But I do think you need to speak to them now and come to some arrangement. Be careful in not agreeing just to keep the laptop as is because that might be seen as you accepting this defect, and you don't want that. Perhaps the best idea would be to ask whether the RMA manager could call you back to discuss what the best options are?
Hi ubuysa

Thanks for your reply and yeah I think you’re right so I have emailed them this morning and asked them to email me or call me to discuss the issue.
I think all owners with the issue should get in contact so they are aware it’s not just on one laptop and it’s on other machines too.
A new screen bezel with two little rubber pads on the corners to raise the screen slightly would probably cure it I would think.

Azryon

A new screen bezel with two little rubber pads on the corners to raise the screen slightly would probably cure it I would think.
That's what I suggested for mine as well when I've sent it for RMA, I would've done it myself but i didnt want to void the warranty or anything like that just in case other issues appear, my RMA got to them yesterday, ill keep you guys updated how long will it take, hopefully not too long.

KevGed

That's what I suggested for mine as well when I've sent it for RMA, I would've done it myself but i didnt want to void the warranty or anything like that just in case other issues appear, my RMA got to them yesterday, ill keep you guys updated how long will it take, hopefully not too long.
Yeah I’d be interested to see how long it takes. They’ve asked for pictures of mine and requested I call them about it.

Azryon

Hello, so the good news is that it only took them about a week and a half to send the RMA back, the bad news is that and i quote "There is nothing much that can be done to stop it from happening again though" so i paid 2200£ for a laptop that in not even a month developed streaks on the screen from the keyboard and the keyboard paint washed off in the same period of time and the response from them is that they can't do anything about it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hello, so the good news is that it only took them about a week and a half to send the RMA back, the bad news is that and i quote "There is nothing much that can be done to stop it from happening again though" so i paid 2200£ for a laptop that in not even a month developed streaks on the screen from the keyboard and the keyboard paint washed off in the same period of time and the response from them is that they can't do anything about it.
To be fair, PCS don't build the chassis but buy them in, so there probably isn't much they could do about it.

If it's a deal breaker for you then get back in touch with PCS and see about returning it for a refund.