Keycap on laptop (UltraNote) is coming off

hogfish

Bronze Level Poster
Somehow (it doesn't get hammered or even used very much) the F10 keycap on this UltaNote 15.6" has come loose.

I expected that the key caps could just be pulled off and replaced, if only for cleaning, but when I tried gently to remove the keycap with the intention of refitting, it seemed not to come away easily. Instead I just tried to reseat the cap ,but that has only partially worked, and the key does not work reliably. It may be that I just need to use a little more force either to reseat or to remove and replace.

However I don't want to try that unless I am quite sure that is the correct approach. Otherwise I might damage the key/keyboard.

I expected this to be in an FAQ or even the manual, but I haven't found anything. Can anyone point me at some documentation or advise?
It must surely be routine to remove and replace keycaps: it is a miracle that I haven't had a biscuit crumb or the like under a key yet, but I would expect just to remove the cap, vacuum out the debris and replace the cap. But for now it is my F10 key...

TIA

hogfish

Bronze Level Poster
It seems that I cannot fit a replacement keyboard myself on this model. And they don't stock spare keycaps. Awaiting more details from PCS...
I still suspect that changing or just refitting the keycap can't be that difficult or complex.

hogfish

Bronze Level Poster
Replacing a Keycap

PCS quoted £10 + cariage for a replacement keyboard under warranty. However, I seem to have managed the repair myself. I include details with (mediocre) photographs here to help others who might have the same problem.

Note that this is a fiddly job and you will need good eyesight and/or magnification aids and some small tools. I managed with minature scewdrivers and tweezers.

First I removed the keycap being careful to unhook the hinges rather than damage them. Then the "socket" here
F10_socket.JPG
can be seen. Notice the larger metal tab on the right and the smaller hooks on the left. These retain the hinges. The keycap with hinges in the matching position is shown here:
Keycap.JPG.
You can see the plastic projections on the left which engage with the hooks, and the inner bar on the right which goes under the metal lug.

The next photograph
Hinge.JPG
shows a side view of the keycap with the hinges lifted (by the end of a small screwdriver) which gives a better idea of how the hinges operate under the keycap: rather like a hinge jack.

In my case. one of the joints on the hinges had somehow become disengaged on one side. WIth care I could slip it back in. The next problem is to reinstall the keycap and hinges with the "socket". I could not do that without partially detaching the hinges from the keycap.
They only seemed to be easy to detach from one side. The next photograph shows the partially detached hinge (a piece of white paper has been inserted a little way under the detached side to improve the contrast):
Part_detached.JPG

With the hinges hanging off on the side, I could then engage the "loose" side of the hinge under the metal lug of the socket (on the right in the first photograph). I could then hook the other side of the hinge under the metal lugs on the other side of the socket.

Now I had to reattach the Keycap itself. I simply psuhed down firmly and it seemed to reengage and subsquently is working. I assume that the hooks on the hinge have reengaged with the black plastic lugs on the keycap which you can see on the right of the second photograph.

So that is it. This is pretty much as described on various Youtube videos on similar keyboards, although I think I have given a little more detail.