Lafite IV 15.6" (Clevo N151CU) Debian testing (bullseye)

jerfac

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Lafite IV 15.6" (Clevo N151CU) and have installed Debian testing (bullseye). Here are some specs:

Chassis & Display
Lafité Series: Aluminium Chassis: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED (1920 x 1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor i5-10210U (1.6GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8 Go Corsair 2666 MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8 Go)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (dépendant du processeur) - 1,7 Go max. de RAM vidéo DDR4 - DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500 Go SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500 Mo/R, 3200 Mo/W)
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT PORT (USB-C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS
Keyboard Language
15" CLAVIER LAFITÉ SERIES FRANÇAIS RÉTRO-ÉCLAIRÉ MULTICOLORE

So I've used a netinstall snapshot of the current debian testing branch (bullseye) since the wifi chip (Intel AX200) seems to require a linux kernel >= 5.1. Also I remember seeing somewhere that the 10th generation intel cpus (comet lake) requires a recent kernel.

So I had to install some non-free blobs for:
ethernet & sdcard reader: Realtek RTL8411 (rtl_nic/rtl8411-2.fw). It appears to work out of the box without installing anything despite some errors in dmesg.
wifi/BT chip: Intel AX200 (wlwifi-cc-a0-48.ucode)
graphics/cpu: i5-10210U (i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin)

So the following non-free packages can be installed:
  • firmware-misc-nonfree (graphics)
  • firmware-iwlwifi (wifi/bluetooth)
  • firmware-realtek (eth/sdcard)

Pretty much everything seems to work:
  • audio: ok
  • usb & usb3: ok
  • sdcard: ok
  • bluetooth: ok. Actually I'm quite impressed, it works pretty well with a BT mouse and a connection to a BT speaker thru A2DP profile. I've tested this setup with two others laptops and it does not work: audio would drop quite a lot when moving the mouse.
  • suspend/hibernate/hybrid: seems ok. Need a bit more time to be sure.
  • function keys: most of the fn keys are working (audio volume, mute, screen brightness, flight mode, sleep, ...). Some keys do nothing ( / * - + on the numpad), possibly the keys to tweak keyboard backlight. I've not tested the alternate kernel module to handle keyboard backlight since I'm pretty happy with the default color (blue).
  • webcam: ok
  • hdmi: ?
  • thunderbolt: ?

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for posting a review and some detailed info about your experiences with Linux - can really help other users when weighing up options :)

phiwye

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Lafite IV 15.6" (Clevo N151CU) and have installed Debian testing (bullseye). Here are some specs:

Chassis & Display
Lafité Series: Aluminium Chassis: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED (1920 x 1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor i5-10210U (1.6GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
8 Go Corsair 2666 MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8 Go)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (dépendant du processeur) - 1,7 Go max. de RAM vidéo DDR4 - DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500 Go SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500 Mo/R, 3200 Mo/W)
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT PORT (USB-C) + 2 x USB 3.0 PORTS
Keyboard Language
15" CLAVIER LAFITÉ SERIES FRANÇAIS RÉTRO-ÉCLAIRÉ MULTICOLORE

So I've used a netinstall of the current debian testing branch (bullseye) since the wifi chip (Intel AX200) seems to require a linux kernel >= 5.1. Also I remember seeing somewhere that the 10th generation intel cpus (comet lake) requires a recent kernel.

So I had to install some non-free blobs for:
ethernet & sdcard reader: Realtek RTL8411 (rtl_nic/rtl8411-2.fw). It appears to work out of the box without installing anything despite some errors in dmesg.
wifi/BT chip: Intel AX200 (wlwifi-cc-a0-48.ucode)
graphics/cpu: i5-10210U (i915/kbl_dmc_ver1_04.bin)

So the following non-free packages can be installed:
  • firmware-misc-nonfree (graphics)
  • firmware-iwlwifi (wifi/bluetooth)
  • firmware-realtek (eth/sdcard)

Pretty much everything seems to work:
  • audio: ok
  • usb & usb3: ok
  • sdcard: ok
  • bluetooth: ok. Actually I'm quite impressed, it works pretty well with a BT mouse and a connection to a BT speaker thru A2DP profile. I've tested this setup with two others laptops and it does not work: audio would drop quite a lot when moving the mouse.
  • suspend/hibernate/hybrid: seems ok. Need a bit more time to be sure.
  • function keys: most of the fn keys are working (audio volume, mute, screen brightness, flight mode, sleep, ...). Some keys do nothing ( / * - + on the numpad), possibly the keys to tweak keyboard backlight. I've not tested the alternate kernel module to handle keyboard backlight since I'm pretty happy with the default color (blue).
  • webcam: ok
  • hdmi: ?
  • thunderbolt: ?

i would also install 'intel-microcode'. This will provide the latest Intel CPU handling and security fixes.

jerfac

i would also install 'intel-microcode'. This will provide the latest Intel CPU handling and security fixes.
Thanks, I've missed this one!

Also the tuxedo kernel module (I hope we can speak about this here) for keyboard backlight works pretty well: the numpad fn keys can be used to enable/change color and brightness. Problem is that non-default color/brightness are not saved and not restored after suspend/hibernate/restart. However the default values can be set in a module config file.