Lafite + SSD and Linux

quicky

Hello,

I'm interested on purchasing a Lafité 15'' to run Linux.
I wonder if it is able to boot from a NVMe SSD ? Or if a SATA SSD is preferable for boot?
It seems there are some issues with Intel SSD on Linux so which SSD should I use in my configuration ?
Thanks by advance

quicky

Yes and I saw there are some issues with Intel SSDs

Ultimately any SSD should work, give or take the odd issue that's usually fixable during installation as I understand it.

Which SSD are you looking at specifically?

In fact I wonder if the difference between an NVMa and a SATA SSD will be noticeable on a laptop like Lafite 15 ?

I would like to take an SSD for which no issues have been reported, than I will choose depending on price and capacities

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
The advantage of an M.2 drive is that it keeps the 2.5" bay free should you need to add a cheap HDD (e.g. for a media collection, or whatever). Also it's general faster than Sata drives.

The SX6000 seems to behave, at least when tested on Ubuntu 17.10 as per:

And the 970 Evo Plus apparently also behaves:

So you've got a budget SSD and an top tier consumer SSD to pick from.

quicky

In fact I was first thinking about M2 256Go SSD for system + 1To HDD (Seagate 7200 rpm) but now I'm hesitating with a single SSD. I mainly store photos no videos
Samsung QEVO 1TO and ADATA SX6000 have similar prices but I don't know if one is a clearly better choice or not
Whereas Samsung Evo Plus 1To is much more expensive