Lafite: What happens if the internal battery in laptop breaks

Alir

Silver Level Poster
This Q is quite general for all laptops but I am specifically referring to the Lafite.

With any laptop, whose battery can only be replaced by unscrewing the laptop, what are your options if the battery breaks outside of battery warranty (I think the warranty for the battery is only 6 months and the insurance from Pier insurance doesn't cover the battery at all)?

If the battery breaks - what are my options? Are internal laptop batteries easy to find online and replace?
Thanks.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It might just be my own personal experience but I have found that when manufacturers integrate the battery into the device it seems to last much better than something that can be replaced easily. But that aside PCS should be able to source you one as they keep spares for machines even if they are no longer sold. Failing that a quick Google of the battery model number should find you a source for a new one.

if the batter decides to die outside warranty then its effectively 'your' problem but it shouldn't be a huge deal to change it. PCS should be able to sell you a new one and the replacement shouldn't be difficult. Just the case of undoing the screws and the battery will just swap out.

Alir

Silver Level Poster
It might just be my own personal experience but I have found that when manufacturers integrate the battery into the device it seems to last much better than something that can be replaced easily. But that aside PCS should be able to source you one as they keep spares for machines even if they are no longer sold. Failing that a quick Google of the battery model number should find you a source for a new one.

if the batter decides to die outside warranty then its effectively 'your' problem but it shouldn't be a huge deal to change it. PCS should be able to sell you a new one and the replacement shouldn't be difficult. Just the case of undoing the screws and the battery will just swap out.

There was one person on this forum who purchased a laptop from PCS. After 3 years PCS no longer sold the battery charger his laptop required and he couldn't find it online. Is this likely to happen to me too? Or are there 'set standards' or agreed upon standards for internal batteries? A bit like how now you have AA and AAA batteries as opposed to separate propietory batteries for each electrical machine.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Very unlikely to be set standards as every device needs something different in terms of shape and output from the battery.

I remember the thread you are speaking about, I posted a link to one that wasn't quite right but he did indeed find one on the same site I linked to.

I don't know how long PCS keep spares in stock for but I know from looking at the spares page for a skyfire (which was bought 2 years ago) it still lists the battery charger and battery as spares. perhaps 3 years after a product going EOL is a cut off, but I cant comment on that.

Basically you will be able to buy one somewhere, probably directly from PCS or almost certainly online after goggling the battery model number. But its probably not something you will ever have to actually do, but I understand your concern.

Paulo

I have the Lafite (currently in for repair for heat sink issues) & when I bought the laptop the replacement battery was circa £20, money well spent to store it in the house should the original battery fail.

Although not sure how it fair being stored for years without any charge?

D

Distinct

When it comes to spare parts it depends. If you machine fails in warranty it is our problem not yours and we will have to deal with it either way. Outside of warranty if we have spares then it will be repaired but charged. We have spares for as long as we can purchase them basically. After 3 years it can be difficult to source some components, Compal chassis would be an example of this. If we can get a good source we will purchase spares for stock or we will buy them in especially for a particular repair. If we cannot get them because of the age and it is out of warranty there is little we can do sadly :(((

In regards to your opening question - the battery is on a 6 month warranty yes as it is a consumable item. If it fails out of warranty and we have spares then you can buy from us, if not you would have to source one. But I cannot see in to the future, I wish I could because I would be rich, so only time will tell. We tend to have spares for those chassis for a long period of time so do not worry yet. If the time comes deal with it there and then ! Don't worry yourself too much thinking in to the future.