Laptop Battery

Framerate of the laptop is bad in game unless it's plugged in and charging. When it's plugged in everythign runs perfectly.

Is there anyway way to prevent this from occuring and boost performance when it's not plugged in? Not much of a laptop if it can't play without a power lead :shifty:

ATI 7970
i7 Qud Core
Windows 7 64 Bit
16 GB RAM

Ed

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is it possible that your power options on battery are set to maximise power at the expense of performance? That's typically how the defaults are set. If you want maximum performance on battery you'll need to modify your power plan, or select one that gives maximum performance on battery. Be warned though that this may seriously shorten the time your battery will be able to power the laptop before needing to be recharged.

If you need help with any of the power options do come back and ask. :)

In power options in Win 7 I have set it to high performance. I then went onto advanced power options and put everything on maximum performance. Even with this done the frame rate of games whilst on battery is bad whereas plugged in its running the games very smooth.

Any suggestions?

Ed

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
In power options in Win 7 I have set it to high performance. I then went onto advanced power options and put everything on maximum performance. Even with this done the frame rate of games whilst on battery is bad whereas plugged in its running the games very smooth.

Any suggestions?

Ed

You have to go into ATI CCC and there is a performance option regarding power situations.

Theres and option for on mains which defaults at Favors Performance and then there is an option for on battery defaulted to favors battery life.

If you change that you will get the better frame rates but at a cost to battery life.

Hope this helps

Hi,

These are all already set to maximum performance and therefore the in game framerate still remains poor. Also the hard drive speeds in terms of loading in games is awful as well.

Any other advice?

Ed

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Can you post up your full specification at all?

What speed of Hard Drive did you get if its a 5400 then the loading times on them are not that great.

I'll try it out on mine when i get home from work if you like, although im on a HD6990M which is last years model

Is there any way other than the power option to change CPU performance whilst on battery? Perhaps that's what is letting it down. My HDD is the hybrid SSD/HDD and speeds are pretty good whilst it's plugged in. However it's around 1.5 to 2 times slower when running on battery.

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (4 x 4GB)
AMD® Radeon® HD 7970M - 2GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
500GB SEAGATE HYBRID SSHD Drive, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (5400 rpm)

Ed

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
The only other place thaqt i know of is the ATI Catalyst Control Center Software.

Yeah your right your HDD should be pretty nippy, what laptop is it? Vortex or Optimus or something?

If you have tried hig performance on teh windows tab and High Performance within the Ati Catalyst Control Center im pretty stumped past that sorry.

My next stop would be giving PCS a call, there great on the phone and should be able to talk you through stuff

They gae me a driver link which hasn't helped. So i've emailed their spport team and i'll wait for a reply.

To add to recent misery it seems like my screen now has dead pixels after around 4.5 weeks of use. Tried the stuck pixel repair programmes and nothing has helped.

Anyway, i've made a seperate post about it just awaiting it to be accepted by moderator.

Ed