Laptop Cooling

Jasonf89

Hello,

I've pretty much decided on what laptop i'm getting either the Vortex 3 Extreme with 2 HD7970's or a Vortex 3 with GTX680M now all I need to do is sort out a cooling tray for my laptop.

What i'm looking for is a cooling tray that does the following:

1) Isn't very loud
2) Fits a 17.3" laptop
3) Will work with the Vortex 3 layout (e.g fans close to where the heat will be)

The 4th thing I want the tray to do i'm unsure if it is possible or not. I would like the laptop tray to hook onto the laptop itself so they sort of become one unit and if you lift one you won't worry about dropping the other.

The reason for this is I normally use my laptop and pass it to friends etc while playing games so they can have a go. Sometimes we are sat on a bar / table (so that isn't much of a problem). But other times we will be sat on the sofa.

Side note: The thermal paste is only applied to the CPU. Can you pay to have it put onto the GPU?

Pagey

Bright Spark
Not sure how much of a help this will be, but my laptop tray is just a thin piece of plywood. I've sprayed it black and that's about it, picked up the wood for nothing and it's done me good ever since. All the board really does is allow an adequate flow of air under the laptop, exactly the same amount as if you were to have put it on a normal flat surface. It's also very hard to stop the air flow underneath it when it's sat on the board. Also you could probably modify it for your exact needs. Maybe even put holes when the air inlet ports are, but not big enough to allow things to go through and block the vents. Also considering it's wood, it's easy enough to get the exact size and shape you require.

On re-reading, getting the board to stick to the laptop is easy, just use sticky velcro tabs on the corners. Don't stick them on the feet, stick them near so the feet still do their job on a normal surface and also don't stick them on the vents. ;)

HTH. :)

Last edited:

CEUOTC

Enthusiast
Hello,

I've pretty much decided on what laptop i'm getting either the Vortex 3 Extreme with 2 HD7970's or a Vortex 3 with GTX680M now all I need to do is sort out a cooling tray for my laptop.

What i'm looking for is a cooling tray that does the following:

1) Isn't very loud
2) Fits a 17.3" laptop
3) Will work with the Vortex 3 layout (e.g fans close to where the heat will be)

The 4th thing I want the tray to do i'm unsure if it is possible or not. I would like the laptop tray to hook onto the laptop itself so they sort of become one unit and if you lift one you won't worry about dropping the other.

The reason for this is I normally use my laptop and pass it to friends etc while playing games so they can have a go. Sometimes we are sat on a bar / table (so that isn't much of a problem). But other times we will be sat on the sofa.

Side note: The thermal paste is only applied to the CPU. Can you pay to have it put onto the GPU?

NotePal U3.

Regards.

C.