Laptop Dying After 4yrs

p3x982

Hi,

Quick brief, laptop (spec'd and built here( starting beeping and excessively 'fanning' so had it checked out by a local independent pc repair chap who diagnosed as needing a new CPU/Motherboard. I gave him access to my account to check for Bios updates, of which there was none (surprisingly) and was quoted between £300 & £700 from here. Wasn't a power user, the laptop was used for a max of 5 to 10hrs per week so based on that i've concluded that my laptop was rubbish. I've bit the bullett and bought new Lenovo as it was cheaper than potentially £700.

But i've been wondering.... what options are available to me? What should i be looking for 3rd party to get fitted and have my old unit up and running? Looking to keep the cost down to a minimum.

Thanks in advance. Specs of the unit are:

Chassis & DisplayCosmos Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor 7700HQ (2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)8GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics CardINTEL® HD GRAPHICS 630 - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Storage Drive2TB SLIM SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
1st M.2 SSD Drive256GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800MB/R, 1100MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor1 x 120W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
BatteryCosmos VI Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound CardIntel 2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema 3
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8265 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11AC) +BT 4.0

Slinky69

I would stay away from mr local and start with a good clean of fans and fins and re-apply thermal paste to the cpu as it sounds like it could just be over heating.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes, any performance laptop needs regular maintenance about once a year of cleaning out heatsinks and fans and repasting the cpu.
if you haven’t done that it’s almost certainly overheating, likely just needs a service.

The Lenovo was probably not needed at all.

Last edited:

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
I would agree with what has been said here, a fan/heatsink clean and a CPU repaste is always a good place to start if it is something you can do.

If not our out of warranty repairs starts from around £60 (for collection, redelivery and 1st-hour labour), this includes an inspection of the issue, if it just needs a repaste and a clean this is normally done by us on any machine that's a bit older and if it fixed the issue there would not be any further fees, If anything else is needed to fix the laptop that needs paying for this would be quoted before any work is done, so this is an option.

p3x982

Hi, thanks for the replies. Apologies for taking time to get back but what with holidays and kids, etc, etc.

Mr independant did clean everything up and repaste but the issue continued after his work and assessment. He also stated that after speaking to support here that the cost of fixing this would be between £300 & £700. Am happy to have it looked at again, but was wondering, if it is the cpu / board what options are available to keep the cost to a minimum.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, thanks for the replies. Apologies for taking time to get back but what with holidays and kids, etc, etc.

Mr independant did clean everything up and repaste but the issue continued after his work and assessment. He also stated that after speaking to support here that the cost of fixing this would be between £300 & £700. Am happy to have it looked at again, but was wondering, if it is the cpu / board what options are available to keep the cost to a minimum.
Me thinks Mr independant may be trying to eek some money out of you.

PCS wouldnt deal with aby third party, only with the warranty holder for one thing

I would strongly suggest repasting yourself, it takes about 30 mins and is very easy.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Mr Independent is guilty of a terminological inexactitude there, PCS would never talk to a third party about any build. For one thing the GDPR regulations forbid it and for another they couldn't be certain it wasn't stolen.

It's not the first time I've heard of a 'Mr Independent' being less than accurate with the truth. If he (she?) has misled you about that then what else are they not being entirely truthful about? 🤬