Laptop - Enigma 3 or Xenon

Fink

Guys wondering if you can help me out - Im after a laptop to do some work on...basically Ill need office apps, watch videos and tv while away, email, photoshop, lightroom, adobe and browsing as well as potentially a dual booted linux machine with an install of a database on. Probably Oracle or db2.

I like the idea of having a small laptop for portability - the main reason I want to take it is so that I can do work on the move. I dont want to play games...however, thats not to say that I wont actually want to play some games on there! The way I see it Ive got two options - I either go for an all out beast (enigma 3) or I strip it down and go for a Xenon.

The specs are as follows.

Enigma 3 -
i7 quad 2670
8gb ram
Intel 510 120GB SSD
SATA 5400 500GB disk
Soundblaster xfi

and

Xenon -
i5 dual 2450
8gb ram
Intel 510 120GB SSD
SATA 5400 500GB disk (no DVD drive)
Soundblaster xfi
Upgraded battery

Im assuming that I can get an external drive easily enough - does the SSD drive warant the cost, does the 510 warrant the cost over a 320?

Next - whats the approx weight of the above machines? I know the std specs are 2.5 and 2.2KG. 2.2kg doesnt sem much of a saving and perhaps I can justify the extra weight for the gfx card.

Does the fact Ive got a SSD mean I can scrimp on the secondary drive or should I be looking at a 7200 for that also - that disk will be data only I guess. Photos, music, pdfs.

Also - what are the speakers like on these things? And does the sound blaster make much difference - I will never have surround sound speakers attached.

Would the xenon allow me to have a pootle on some games? Im not too fussed about playing BF3 on high res - but I wouldnt mind being able to do a few things. I just have no history of using a laptop - Ive always used desktops.

All help greatly appreciated.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
The xenon won't be able to play virtually any games, the enigma will play a few. I would recommend the intel 510 if you can afford it, if not, the kingston is very good. What I would recommend doing is removiing the odd so that you are able to fit a second hdd drive in. This is just for space and doesn't need to be fast. The soundblaster is an external card so will only be any use if you have a top range speaker system or headset, I would not recommend it. I would also recommend the quad core cpu. what is your budget, I would get the enigma spec.

Fink

Thanks for the detail.

I don't really have a budget in mind (err it started off at 500 and now its grown beyond recognition)

The key thing is it needs to be portable...hence my question about weights.

how about this for 837 (ive put in a cooler stand - just for jolly) after voucher deductions (15 quid off)

Chassis & Display
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Matte HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)

2nd Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY

Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)

Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
ENIGMA GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 3.0

USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD

Battery
Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh)

Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2012 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£14)

Laptop Cooling Stands
Zalman ZM-NC1000 Ultra-Quiet Laptop Cooler, upto 15.6 inch (£29)

Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD

Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Nice, I would upgrade the screen to the better resolution though but that is your choice. The other thing would be to get a faster secondary drive but if you can't afford it, that will be fine.