Laptop for mum

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Good afternoon PCS Forum, and hello again, its been a good while!

Mum is in need of a new laptop, so thought I would gauge the advice of the experts.

I think I have left in the relevant specs that need ironing out etc.

She likes to have a large display, so the 17" looks the best option in the "Lightweight" section.

Beyond that, I am open to suggestions regarding CPU, RAM and SSD.

Not sure her needs could possibly require an i7, so that should be ok.

Really no idea about which RAM to choose. This is for browsing, emails, photos etc, so no high end processes going on.

I like the idea of an SSD this time around. I am sure any future storage issues can be dealt with an external HDD down the line. However, I think this is one where I might go up a bit, and get a larger SSD than the standard, even just up to 256 or 512, as they don't add THAT much more to the price. But not sure if there is a downside to a larger SSD or not.

Any thoughts or input are greatly appreciated.

Cheers all

DED

Chassis & Display
Initia Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 60Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor i5-1035G1 (1.0GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
4GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st Storage Drive
128GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W)
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

kozuki

Enthusiast
I would definitely put 8GB of RAM in there, purely just for easier use with multiple browser tabs and multiple apps open, 4GB is not going to do well in 2020 and beyond. Bigger SSD would only be an improvement, no downsides there, and I would recommend going with the bigger option, 120GB is basically a storage for windows and essential apps, 250GB is OK, but as you said, it's not that much to improve further, and with time, space tends to run out, so more storage is convenient if it's within the budget