Laptop games crash, 3 lights flash then shutdown instantly

Angelmaker30

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys further update. The awesome guys at PCS have supplied me with the BIOS software and a very straightforward guide of what to do. Fantastic. However I have an issue.

step 2 of the guide after creating the bootable USB says the following.

Before flashing, we will need to put the boot into legacy mode, please power on the system and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS. Navigate to the Boot Tab and turn off UEFI Boot. Then, go to the Exit tab and Save Changes and reset the system.

I have entered bios and gone to boot tab and have absolutely nothing saying UEFI anywhere. However in the main bios page it says legacy usb mode enabled. Does this mean i simply that I dont need to do this step as its already in legacy mode?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My opinion would be that yes, that setting will allow the BIOS flash USB stick to boot. You'll do no harm by trying to boot it, the worst that will happen is that it won't boot. [emoji3]

Sent using Tapatalk

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi guys further update. The awesome guys at PCS have supplied me with the BIOS software and a very straightforward guide of what to do. Fantastic. However I have an issue.

step 2 of the guide after creating the bootable USB says the following.

Before flashing, we will need to put the boot into legacy mode, please power on the system and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS. Navigate to the Boot Tab and turn off UEFI Boot. Then, go to the Exit tab and Save Changes and reset the system.

I have entered bios and gone to boot tab and have absolutely nothing saying UEFI anywhere. However in the main bios page it says legacy usb mode enabled. Does this mean i simply that I dont need to do this step as its already in legacy mode?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Also known as Secure Boot. See if you can find mention of that and disable it.

Angelmaker30

Bronze Level Poster
These are the options I have in bios.

Attachments

• bios3.jpg
    bios3.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 195
  • bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 194
  • bios1.jpg
    bios1.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 183

Angelmaker30

Bronze Level Poster
I'm currently in contact. I'm really impressed with their speed of response and willingness to help. Is it not possible the issues the GPU? I have tried re-seating both sticks of RAM, swapping and trying just one in one slot etc. No change. My thinking is its either GPU or Motherboard. Both are similar in price to replace (around £130) but i'd hate to spend out on a maybe

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm currently in contact. I'm really impressed with their speed of response and willingness to help. Is it not possible the issues the GPU? I have tried re-seating both sticks of RAM, swapping and trying just one in one slot etc. No change. My thinking is its either GPU or Motherboard. Both are similar in price to replace (around £130) but i'd hate to spend out on a maybe
Ha ha, you won't get a GPU for anwhere near that price, more like the £600 upwards cost!

You may have been looking at desktop parts.

The motherboard also will likely be a lot more than that, just so you're prepared.

PCS will be able to narrow down the cause and offer a replacement quote, but you may find upgrading the whole build is more cost effective.

Angelmaker30

Bronze Level Poster
my gpu is a much older model GTX 675m. I can definitely get it f that price. I'd probably upgrade to a 680m if i could which is about another £20 to £30.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
my gpu is a much older model GTX 675m. I can definitely get it f that price. I'd probably upgrade to a 680m if i could which is about another £20 to £30.
Maybe second hand but certainly not new.

This is the new price from the only stockist in Europe:

2020-01-19 18_51_18-Window.png

BTW, you can't put a different GPU in without getting a compatible BIOS, it just won't boot otherwise, just so you know.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
RE Bios i would need premamod i believe but obviously i'll do the homework first as its a minefield. Many thanks.
I would highly recommend asking for PCS to give you some quotes before you go sourcing cheap second hand stuff. Second hand is rarely a good idea on IT kit but especially on legacy kit.

PCS will be able to offer cards with warranty and official BIOS.

Angelmaker30

Bronze Level Poster
So after further correspondence with PCS Staff it looks like i'm out of luck lol. The system is to old for them to be able to do anything and its questionable if any GPU I buy will work because of VBIOS. I will have to start saving pennies for a new system. Such a shame as I love this laptop. Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Sad indeed! One of the risks with gaming laptops. Or rather, inevitabilities as all components will eventually die. Though if a gaming desktop is not viable, what can you do :(