Laptop GPU's

Damo84

Thinking of getting a gaming laptop, but wondered what the GPUs are like compared to desktop versions.
What would the laptop version of say the 2080 be compared speed wise to a desktop gpu?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thinking of getting a gaming laptop, but wondered what the GPUs are like compared to desktop versions.
What would the laptop version of say the 2080 be compared speed wise to a desktop gpu?
A mobile 2080 would be roughly equivalent to a 2070 Super desktop card, 2070 Super mobile roughly a 2070 desktop etc etc, roughly 1 tier down to the equivalent desktop card.

Notebook check has a handy comparison tool, you have to double check you've definitely got the right cards comparing, sometimes it can select incorrectly on anomolies.

Damo84

Thanks for the Information. I was expecting the gap to be alot bigger but that's great news. Gaming laptops seem to have come along way in performance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the Information. I was expecting the gap to be alot bigger but that's great news. Gaming laptops seem to have come along way in performance.
Yeah, since the 1000 series cards when they dropped the "mobile" branding, the gap closed enormously.

It remains to be seen what will happen with the 3000 series as the desktop cards use sooo much power, there's no way that can translate to mobile cards without litterally cutting power consumption in half. My guess is they may actually revert to separate chips for the mobile cards, but we'll see about that.

Damo84

How do AMD mobile gpu's compare with Nvidia mobile gpu's these days. I'm about 15 years out of touch from my gaming days. But looking to get back into it.
It's great I've came across this site and forum seems to be one of the best.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
How do AMD mobile gpu's compare with Nvidia mobile gpu's these days. I'm about 15 years out of touch from my gaming days. But looking to get back into it.
It's great I've came across this site and forum seems to be one of the best.
TBH, it’s quite hard to find laptops with them on board, I really have no idea.

All I know is AMD GPUs tend to use quite significantly more power then nvidia cards so would probably be quite cut down on mobile.

AMD are just about to release Big Navi desktop cards which are a brand new architecture and I’m slightly hopeful that they may have something quite special in the pipeline. How that will translate to mobile I don’t know. Usually mobile cards are around 6 months behind desktop.