Laptop HDD + optical drive question

Dommer

Hi all,

Just a simple question really.

Which laptop models support having two HDDs AND an optical drive at the same time? I'm guessing it's only the bigger ones (e.g. 17" Vortex II, etc), but wondered which actual models.

Cheers,

Dommer

Dommer

That makes sense. And is it only the Vortex II that can have a matte screen (with better colour reproduction)? If it is, then my decision has been made for me - lol! :)

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks for the quick reply! :wacko:

Last edited:

Dommer

That's cool .Thanks again. I am planning on ordering a hi spec laptop and colour reproduction is important as my current Acer is fairly hopeless in this regard (but otherwise a great machine). I'm jut trying to decide what kind of spec I need. Deffo SSD + HDD + good screen. Probably optical drive too and I don't like the look of the Viper III, so I guess it'd be a Vortex II if I get it from here. Unless I forego the optical drive (need the second HDD).

I'll be doing a lot of coding on it and want to run virtual machines (or at least be able to). And need to have SQL Server, etc on it (either virtualised or not). Might even go with the Intel i7-2860QM :eek:

AndyL

That makes sense. And is it only the Vortex II that can have a matte screen (with better colour reproduction)? If it is, then my decision has been made for me - lol! :)

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks for the quick reply! :wacko:

Yes the vortex 17.3" can have a matte screen. HOWEVER, the 17.3" is 72% Gamut whilst the 15" screen is 95% Gamut, also, it is the Glossy screens which more vibrant colours (not the matte screens).

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That's cool .Thanks again. I am planning on ordering a hi spec laptop and colour reproduction is important as my current Acer is fairly hopeless in this regard (but otherwise a great machine). I'm jut trying to decide what kind of spec I need. Deffo SSD + HDD + good screen. Probably optical drive too and I don't like the look of the Viper III, so I guess it'd be a Vortex II if I get it from here. Unless I forego the optical drive (need the second HDD).

I'll be doing a lot of coding on it and want to run virtual machines (or at least be able to). And need to have SQL Server, etc on it (either virtualised or not). Might even go with the Intel i7-2860QM :eek:

if you need an optical drive, you can buy a USB one or you could buy an external hard drive and keep the internal DVD drive

personally id recommend the external DVD drive, the USB ones of these are the same speeds as laptop ones whereas the external hard drives are usually noticably slower and can cause problems when installing programs on them