Laptop Insurance Help

Sharmane

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best course of action. My new laptop will be dispatching soon and I've selected the 1 month free insurance, I know the insurance company will contact me to confirm I want to continue with the monthly payments as soon as the the laptop is dispatched. The thing is when I completed my debit card details for it a week later I had to get a replacement card and of course the numbers on the front are different to what I entered. Should I wait until they contact me and tell them to update my details (if they can do this on the same line) or do I contact them myself now even though my laptop is awaiting dispatch?

Any advice welcome!
:)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The thing is when I completed my debit card details for it a week later I had to get a replacement card and of course the numbers on the front are different to what I entered. Should I wait until they contact me and tell them to update my details (if they can do this on the same line) or do I contact them myself now even though my laptop is awaiting dispatch?
Since you have a month free cover I'd wait for the laptop and any documentation you may receive from your policy to update your details. From my experience setting up a direct debit or standing order with an insurance company wouldn't take long.

Wake

Silver Level Poster
I've been looking at insurance myself. Best seems to be insurance2go - I need it for covering mine against theft, accidental damage etc for travelling round eastern Europe and Asia - comes out at £50 for an £800 laptop which isn't bad with a small excess. I didn't take the 1 month insurance on the spec as I hadn't seen the policy document which is all important to me.

steaky360

I always find online comparison site's very helpful when looking for this kind of thing. When I got my laptop (old Dell piece of crap) I had it insured through insure my bubble and it was very reasonable. But a simple google search should be able to find several online retailers who will insure your laptop for you. I would definitely keep the 1 month insurance from PCS though, its free and if you get the policy doc and its not to your liking you'll be getting your own insurance anyway.

Tiger Feet

Silver Level Poster
I always find online comparison site's very helpful when looking for this kind of thing. When I got my laptop (old Dell piece of crap) I had it insured through insure my bubble and it was very reasonable. But a simple google search should be able to find several online retailers who will insure your laptop for you. I would definitely keep the 1 month insurance from PCS though, its free and if you get the policy doc and its not to your liking you'll be getting your own insurance anyway.

After the free month is up, can you cancel the insurance altogether after that?

Cheers

Wake

Silver Level Poster
I wouldn't get it - if something is 'Free' it invariably gives you hassle that you don't want. Get rid of it and do something about insurance that you are in control of.