Laptop insurance?

rb2610

(Not quite sure if this should go in sales advice so feel free to move it elsewhere)

I purchased an Optimus IV in September (as a side note the laptop is brilliant, I'm even finding myself using it in preference to my desktop!) and I was in a hurry when I was ordering, so I didn't have time to apply for the month's free insurance.

A month and a bit on, and I'm starting to worry a bit about what if it got damaged or stolen, so I'm looking at getting insurance sorted. The one problem is, looking at a couple of insurance sites, the policy states that they'll replace any items that can't be repaired with 'an equivalent product of similar age and condition', which seeing as how much better value you get at PCS than the average laptop retailer means I'd be getting a vastly inferior replacement, and would unlikely get anything comparable in terms of specs (I can't really see insurance companies getting that just because something costs about the same, doesn't mean it'll be anywhere near as powerful).

Anyway, are there any insurance sites out there that are actually tech minded and have a reputation for actually getting decent replacements etc?

Alternatively, with the new upgrade system PCS have, is it possible that, say a year or so down the line someone bashes my screen and it cracks or someone spills a drink on my keyboard, that I could just for example 'upgrade' the broken components to the same as what they already are, effectively replacing them? In quite a few cases I would think that paying for an 'upgrade' on any broken parts would cost less than or not much more than paying for an insurance contract, plus the fee for making a claim etc...

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
If the laptop gets damaged and is still stocked, we can of course quote for replacement components such as the screen. :)