Laptop not allowing me to access the Nvidia Display/resolution settings only 3d settings

petdox

OK i understand what your saying and yes it is quite a niche area and I will investigate in more depth when I get my next laptop
thanks again

Jasontvnd

Bronze Level Poster
Few things to note here as i believe spider and scott despite doing there best to help might be out of the loop for a while when it comes to gaming laptops.

The reason you can't manage many of the Nvidia control panel options is because the last few generations of laptops with optimus laptops have had most of the Nvidia control panel options moved to the iGPU options since its actually using that as a passthrough from the dGPU to the screen.

The exception to this is laptops with a MUX switch that can directly link to the display , You can also bypass the iGPU with an externaal display.

He's wondering about DSR , I don't quite understand why you would want desktop DSR since it will make it very hard to see details , The only real use is in games because of its ability to very expensively ( in terms of compute power ) offer a form of very good Anti Aliasing.

What you should do is buy a monitor so you can run two screens , Your idea of increasing the render resolution to show more detail is a horrible one with all due respect.

petdox

Interesting response, I think the thought is that laptops have moved on and there is more control, but this was as explained in the example video posted, for an old game so I suspect the quality would be acceptable for the gains. With newer games maybe not, but thanks for the input 😁

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Few things to note here as i believe spider and scott despite doing there best to help might be out of the loop for a while when it comes to gaming laptops.

The reason you can't manage many of the Nvidia control panel options is because the last few generations of laptops with optimus laptops have had most of the Nvidia control panel options moved to the iGPU options since its actually using that as a passthrough from the dGPU to the screen.

The exception to this is laptops with a MUX switch that can directly link to the display , You can also bypass the iGPU with an externaal display.

He's wondering about DSR , I don't quite understand why you would want desktop DSR since it will make it very hard to see details , The only real use is in games because of its ability to very expensively ( in terms of compute power ) offer a form of very good Anti Aliasing.

What you should do is buy a monitor so you can run two screens , Your idea of increasing the render resolution to show more detail is a horrible one with all due respect.

Not really out of the loop as such, just unsure of what technology is employed by the laptop in question. We don't have the ability to try out all models unfortunately, we are lowly forum users like everyone else.... just with a couple of extra buttons.

If you look through, I suggested that if Optimus was in play then it would likely be impossible to bypass for an on-board-on-screen solution. There are still DTRs without Optimus though, they don't require a MUX switch either.... and there are obviously offerings that have the option. I cannot say with any certainty what this particular model is, although from the interaction here I would say it's a fixed Optimus solution.

As for the DSR, I believe he specifically mentioned gaming.... and a particular game that was referenced in the video tutorial for how to setup DSR.

Nice of you to come and strut your stuff but to come across arrogant, after not actually digesting what was said before you, isn't going to win you over in the community.

Jasontvnd

Bronze Level Poster
Not really out of the loop as such, just unsure of what technology is employed by the laptop in question. We don't have the ability to try out all models unfortunately, we are lowly forum users like everyone else.... just with a couple of extra buttons.

If you look through, I suggested that if Optimus was in play then it would likely be impossible to bypass for an on-board-on-screen solution. There are still DTRs without Optimus though, they don't require a MUX switch either.... and there are obviously offerings that have the option. I cannot say with any certainty what this particular model is, although from the interaction here I would say it's a fixed Optimus solution.

As for the DSR, I believe he specifically mentioned gaming.... and a particular game that was referenced in the video tutorial for how to setup DSR.

Nice of you to come and strut your stuff but to come across arrogant, after not actually digesting what was said before you, isn't going to win you over in the community.
Oh dear what a lovely welcome thanks very much scott.

What a great community moderator.

barlew

Godlike

Hang on a minute. You came into this thread, clearly did not read the entire thing. Made assumptions on @Scott understanding of the most widely known, and important technology in today's gaming laptops, and then decided to publicly announce he and @SpyderTracks are out of the loop in a rather condescending way.

Why are you surprised and upset a response has been posted to challenge you?

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
I guess amending in the bios settings is a last resort but won't this be the same as disabling the integrated GPU in device manager? which I've already tried (and gave me no access to the Nvidia control panel because this GPU is not physically linked to the display.

Lol this thread did get very confused. So OP for your info this is actually the fix I am not sure why it hasn't been tried yet. I am pretty confident your laptop will have a MUX so you should be able to do this.

PSB for two screen shots from my Nvidia Control Panel. the first one is with the laptop in MSHybrid iGPU mode and the second is with it set to dGPU. As previously discussed this uses the MUX to directly connect the Nvidia GPU to your screen.
iGPU:
1652515103746.png

dGPU:
1652515195189.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Lol this thread did get very confused. So OP for your info this is actually the fix I am not sure why it hasn't been tried yet. I am pretty confident your laptop will have a MUX so you should be able to do this.

PSB for two screen shots from my Nvidia Control Panel. the first one is with the laptop in MSHybrid iGPU mode and the second is with it set to dGPU. As previously discussed this uses the MUX to directly connect the Nvidia GPU to your screen.
iGPU:
View attachment 33471

dGPU:
View attachment 33473
The Cosmos doesn't have a MUX afaik.

barlew

Godlike
MUX is very new, it's only been around a couple of years. Didn't exist before the TongFang chassis. No clevo has MUX, only the premium TongFang chassis
I am sure I had a mux switch in my 2012 Vortex and my 2020 defiance and they were both clevo.

barlew

Godlike
No, fraid not. Didnt exist until about 2019.

In 2012 it was the early iteration of Nvidia Optimus.
Fair enough. It was 10 years ago. Sounds like OP is out of luck then.

I have seen this list before, It is not complete.
I have just had a look through my orders and I was wrong it was my 2019 Vortex which had a MUX in it. It was a Clevo chassis though. That is not on this list. Although I believe it used an earlier chassis to the XMG Neo 15 which is on the list.

Any way I was convinced MUX had been around longer than that so thanks for the correction.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fair enough. It was 10 years ago. Sounds like OP is out of luck then.

I have seen this list before, It is not complete.
I have just had a look through my orders and I was wrong it was my 2019 Vortex which had a MUX in it. It was a Clevo chassis though. That is not on this list. Although I believe it used an earlier chassis to the XMG Neo 15 which is on the list.

Any way I was convinced MUX had been around longer than that so thanks for the correction.
There's another list here by Jarrods

No clevo has had a MUX to date, they haven't adopted the technology as yet.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

I merely provided an observation to your imposition on this thread, along with the unjustified negativity towards other members. How you take that is up to yourself, along with how you decide to move forwards. I'm not going to lose any sleep though and neither should you :)

barlew

Godlike
There's another list here by Jarrods

No clevo has had a MUX to date, they haven't adopted the technology as yet.
Like I said my old Vortex IX did have a MUX switch and it was a Clevo PB51RF. Back then we didn't refer to the MUX, it was just switchable modes, between Discrete, and Optimus mode which is what the PB51RF had. This was achieved through the MUX.

This can be seen in BOAT's review of a PB51RF at approx 10.55 minutes when he is looking through the BIOS options.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Like I said my old Vortex IX did have a MUX switch and it was a Clevo PB51RF. Back then we didn't refer to the MUX, it was just switchable modes, between Discrete, and Optimus mode which is what the PB51RF had. This was achieved through the MUX.

This can be seen in BOAT's review of a PB51RF at approx 10.55 minutes when he is looking through the BIOS options.

That's not a MUX, MUX is very different, that's just enabling or disabling MSHybrid as he says in the video. That option has been around with MSHybrid and Optimus before it.

But it's very different to what a MUX does.

barlew

Godlike
That's not a MUX, MUX is very different, that's just enabling or disabling MSHybrid as he says in the video. That option has been around with MSHybrid and Optimus before it.

But it's very different to what a MUX does.
Sorry OP I am derailing this thread. MSHybrid and Optimus are exactly the same thing, the MUX is the switch which is used to switch between MSHybrid/Optimus and the dGPU.

Laptops have had a MUX switch in them ever since switchable graphics where introduced we just never used to speak about it.

No idea what this blokes qualifications are but he has explained it pretty well.

If Optimus/MSHybrid laptops did not have a MUX you would not be able to select dGPU mode.

*Edit* - It doesn't matter what his Q's are he seems to have blatantly plagerised Jarrod :ROFLMAO: https://jarrods.tech/what-is-a-mux-switch-for-gaming-laptops/