Laptop or desktop (gaming)

Samphy

Hi guys,

Two parts to my post:
1 - I've always had desktops for my gaming purposes and am due an update. Most of my work is done on the desktop in my home office, so it will used continually. I could also make use of a laptop for when working away from home, but that's not very often to be honest.

What is the gaming experience like on a laptop? I worry that the screen/keyboard etc are too small and that it wouldn't be as "comfortable". What are your thoughts? Can you attach external screen/KB etc? Or does that impair performance?

I don't have money for two new pieces of kit, so have to make this one count.

2 - This is the quote I'm currently looking at that fits within my £1000 ish budget:

Case PCS 6003B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10600 (3.3GHz) 12MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® TUF GAMING B460-PLUS: ATX, LGA1200, USB 3.2, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive1TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card ReaderUSB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power SupplyCORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingPCS FrostFlow 100 RGB Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster® Audigy™ FX OEM
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00002]

Or...?

Thanks for any suggestions/tips!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You'll usually get more for your money with a desktop over a laptop, plus you'll get desktop-class CPU/GPU instead of their mobile counterparts.

Another big benefit is that the desktop components (CPU, GPU, motherboard, RAM, Storage, PSU) can more easily be upgraded down the line than the laptop (maybe RAM & SSD only).

The only downside to a desktop is that it doesn't allow you to move it around as easily.

Segwayrider

Silver Level Poster
Personally I prefer laptop, since it means im not limited to where i can game/ watch my streaming services. I know i would use a desktop significantly less just because i would slightly dread having to sit in front of my desk.
You can attach external keyboard (via usb ( and Bluetooth?)), and moniter (if it has hdmi port), without it impacting performance. Wether or not you think the screen or keyboard is to small is a personal preference
That said you do get more bang for your buck with desktops, and they generally last longer than laptops (partly because you can upgrade them in the future). It doesn't sound like you have any problems being behind a desk, and considering you budget, you probably should stick with desktop. I don´t know very much about them however (particularly not case ( how well the airflow is), motherboard, adn PSU). One thing I would say though is change your RAM from 1x16 to2x8 gb. RAM works better in pair.

Samphy

You'll usually get more for your money with a desktop over a laptop, plus you'll get desktop-class CPU/GPU instead of their mobile counterparts.

Another big benefit is that the desktop components (CPU, GPU, motherboard, RAM, Storage, PSU) can more easily be upgraded down the line than the laptop (maybe RAM & SSD only).

The only downside to a desktop is that it doesn't allow you to move it around as easily.
Thank you. This is why so far I've not been able to make the shift to a laptop!

Samphy

Personally I prefer laptop, since it means im not limited to where i can game/ watch my streaming services. I know i would use a desktop significantly less just because i would slightly dread having to sit in front of my desk.
You can attach external keyboard (via usb ( and Bluetooth?)), and moniter (if it has hdmi port), without it impacting performance. Wether or not you think the screen or keyboard is to small is a personal preference
That said you do get more bang for your buck with desktops, and they generally last longer than laptops (partly because you can upgrade them in the future). It doesn't sound like you have any problems being behind a desk, and considering you budget, you probably should stick with desktop. I don´t know very much about them however (particularly not case ( how well the airflow is), motherboard, adn PSU). One thing I would say though is change your RAM from 1x16 to2x8 gb. RAM works better in pair.
Thank you, that was very helpful. Also appreciate the RAM tip. Not heard that before!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just to be clear, if you were to choose a desktop, the one you posted is not a good configuration, I'd strongly advise getting some advice on something more suitable.

Samphy

Just to be clear, if you were to choose a desktop, the one you posted is not a good configuration, I'd strongly advise getting some advice on something more suitable.
What's not good about it? Happy to take advice/suggestions, just have to bear in mind my budget!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What's not good about it? Happy to take advice/suggestions, just have to bear in mind my budget!
starting from the top, its intel, slow RAM jump out.
What monitor resolution & refresh rate or make and model
How much did that come to?
can you please post the configuration link