Laptop quote - comments please?

dlatimer

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

Would greatly appreciate any advice or comments on the below quote. £1000 is approx. the budget for a replacement laptop.

I decided to go for the GTX660M GPU, there doesn't appear to be too much difference between that and the GTX670M - aside from the latter producing more heat (according to what I have read...)

It's primary use will be for playing Football Manager, TF2, CS:GO, Left 4 Dead, Skyrim, possibly BF3 and the new CoD as well. But with that, is there anything you would change if this was your quote and you wanted to play these games? Any comments greatly appreciated :)

Chassis & Display Vortex Series: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 1.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 90GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire 1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor 1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Keyboard & Mouse INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty 3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
(£69)
Delivery STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Total Order Price £993.00

Jak

I would probably up that Kingston SSD to at least a 128GB to give you a little more space. Either that or grab one of Seagate's Momentous XT's as they combine the best of both worlds (a large capacity spinning disk with a suitably decent amount of flash storage à la SSD for fast caching of commonly used data like your OS). I don't know a *huge* amount about the 660 but if you want more power for gaming GPU-wise I'd pop for the AMD 7970 since even with slitghtly iffy drivers it's massively powerful. Last, you could really just have a silver warranty which would save you about £64 roughly there. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. :D Hope this helps you.