Laptop repair

paddyc

Hi guys,

I bought a vortex II about 2-3 years ago, so far the old gal has done me well, still keeping up and beating new laptops of my friends.
Overall I'm extremely happy with the way the laptop has performed throughout its life and I'm sure it will continue for another few years at least.

However as a student you can only imagine how much abuse some of the ports have gone through and it now I thing its time for a bit of repair.
The main areas that need a bit of R&R are the usb ports and the charger port, I'm not sure that a repair like this is provided by "PCS". So first I would like to know it a repair is even possible? and if anyone has had a similar repair, how much it might cost?.

I was also thinking that if I was to send the laptop in I may as-well get it a bit of an upgrade?, I know I can upgrade the ram and hard, but I was wondering if there possibility for improvement with the cpu (currently i7-2760) or the gpu (currently Amd 6990m). I know that's a bit of a vague question but I'm looking for a vague answer as I'm just weighing up my options.

All the best.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I don't think you will have many options regarding the gpu, the chassis needs to support any gpu you wish to add and a bios update may be required. The CPU range for your chassis has also reached end of life so it may be a bit tricky finding a better CPU but since it is an i7 not sure you can better than that. Regarding the ports you could contact PCS but I would assume replacing the motherboard is needed if those are not working anymore.

paddyc

Thanks Keynes,
Well all the ports work just fine, they are all just a little bit loose and I don't know how much longer they will last if I was going to have to replace the motherboard then it would probably turn out more economical to replace the whole laptop.
Do you think that "PCS" has any of the old 2nd gen i7 laying about?