Laptop required for software development

Manxjason

Silver Level Poster
Hello,

I'm a .NET developer in the market for a laptop. My gaming desktop serves me very well, but has since been commandeered by my partner and her photography business. I'm looking for performance, but not complete overkill.. I'm used to using an OC'd i7 2700k @ 4.8gh, 8gb 1600mhz ram, Samsung Evo SSDs and GTX 980 on 27" displays.

So, when it comes to this laptop:

I *think* a 17.3" screen @ 1920x1080 would best my best option here (keeping in mind that I also do responsive front-end development). At times, i'll be extending my display to a 27" monitor. I do however expect to be able to work efficiently remotely, with no second monitor. So Cosmos or Optimus?

i5 Dual Core processor - I can't seem to think of any reason for going for an i7 quad? But which i5 is the question! Note that multitasking will go as far as running Visual Studio/msbuild, IIS, Koala, browser, extensions and music player.

250gb samsung SSD

Basic dedicated GPU if required

I wouldn't have any problems speccing a desktop, but when it comes to laptops and processors in particular - I really have no idea! There seems to be different versions of the i5 available to different cases.

Budget is flexible, but would prefer to keep it around £800 or lower.

Suggestions welcome!

rossbeazley

Bronze Level Poster
Get the fastest CPU you can, compiling is processor bound and if you can cram as much ram as possible you can use a ramdisk for your temp files when building