Laptop returned but need to activate windows again?

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
Just got the laptop back but it’s asking me to activate windows again? Does this mean I need to buy it again? I just got a code off eBay the first time

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just got the laptop back but it’s asking me to activate windows again? Does this mean I need to buy it again? I just got a code off eBay the first time
If you just got a code off eBay it was a fake and you've been running a pirated copy. That might be why you are now required to activate it again.

Buy a real Windows license from Microsoft, otherwise we'll not be able to help you on here I'm afraid.

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
If you just got a code off eBay it was a fake and you've been running a pirated copy. That might be why you are now required to activate it again.

Buy a real Windows license from Microsoft, otherwise we'll not be able to help you on here I'm afraid.
Pirated? I downloaded it from the Microsoft store. I take it the problem is with the code I got? I always thought they were legit but obviously not

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Pirated? I downloaded it from the Microsoft store. I take it the problem is with the code I got? I always thought they were legit but obviously not
Did you buy it from the Microsoft store or eBay?

If it's legit it will re-activate. If it doesn't contact Microsoft, they'll help you get it activated.

Bastet

Silver Level Poster
Did you purchase the license from Microsoft or from an eBay seller?
If eBay then it was most likely a KMS/Volume license & has now been blocked.
Right click on start & choose powershell with admin & enter: slmgr.vbs /dlv
This will show a popup showing whether your license is OEM, Retail, or Volume amongst other information.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is where you need to be careful of these incredibly cheap keys, if they're that cheap, it's for a reason, and that's usually because they're illegally obtained. You'll find more often than not, the keys will be invalidated by Microsoft as soon as they're found out.

It's called the Grey Market, trafficking in stolen keys. It's always worth buying from a reputable supplier and paying the price.