laptop running high temps???

L33s2good

Gold Level Poster
i know this laptop may be oldish but i have high temps on my gfx card that i believe is making Player unkowns battlegrounds crash, using msi afterburner it reports temps of 80-93 degrees when playing with all settings on low, i thought mayb this laptop could handle it on high settings but after i downclocked the gfx to around 935MHZ it lasts longer between crashes but still runs around 85-90 degrees, im wondering if there are any solutions, im using the coolermaster laptop stand but im not sure the best locations to place the 3 fans? also any tips on if you think i should/could upgrade gfx card or buy something to lower the temps would be amazing,

this is my spec

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4810MQ (2.80GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
2nd Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 530 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
DVD Recovery Media
NO DVD RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 11 working days
Quantity

L33s2good

Gold Level Poster
When was the last time you cleaned, dusted the insides, and possibly repasted the laptop?

i have looked inside and only minor dust around fans, everywhere else looks clean, i have not applied any more thermal paste, do you know of any good brands for extreme cooling or are they all the same ish

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
i have looked inside and only minor dust around fans, everywhere else looks clean, i have not applied any more thermal paste, do you know of any good brands for extreme cooling or are they all the same ish

The key places to check are the finned radiators right next to the fans, that's where the cooling pipes go. These are the heat exchangers and it's where ALL the cooling is done. You need a good airflow through these heat exchangers for proper cooling but they are dust and muck magnets. Have a close look at these heat exchangers from both inside the laptop and by looking through the vents from the outisde and if they're not completely clean then that will be your problem.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The key places to check are the finned radiators right next to the fans, that's where the cooling pipes go. These are the heat exchangers and it's where ALL the cooling is done. You need a good airflow through these heat exchangers for proper cooling but they are dust and muck magnets. Have a close look at these heat exchangers from both inside the laptop and by looking through the vents from the outisde and if they're not completely clean then that will be your problem.

Furthermore, you'd be surprised how much dust builds up within the fan setup on the heatsinks, the only way to be sure it's totally clear is to unscrew the fans and remove them to clear the dust buildup underneath.

If you do find you need a repaste, I'd recommend Kryonnaut Thermal Grizzly, it's superb.

Zfast4y0u

my friend had a ''problem'' with his desktop gpu. the problem was, it was so dirty inside and i mean really dirty like holy **** dirty. there was so much dust (among other things) on gpu heat sink that it stoped fan from spinning and later the fan died on him too, so he improvised and put some random fan on it and glued it somehow togeather. might wanna check if ur breathing area for fan is free and nothing is blocking it, is fan spining at all and how fast (idk can u set fan tables on that laptop if yes check em) see if radiators are free and not blocked by dust. on my old laptop i used to open it up and clean fans once a weak, so nothing build up over time, aw18 was easy to acsess so i have done it regulary.

if this is longer issue then probably u need to repaste, u should do it anyway after a year or so, tim gets really crappy at that point and not doing its job properly.

OH and if u really have no problems opening ur laptop, might wanna check GPU also, take it out and look for burn marks on ur mobo under it. might prevent disaster. its not unusual in laptops for those things to happen.

Last edited: