Laptop screen not working

polkadotj

My PCS laptop is getting on a bit now, but I am hoping someone may be able to give me some advice. On Saturday I turned it on to be greeted with a black screen. No lighting up, nothing. The laptop is still turning on as I can still log on with the fingerprint scanner and hear the windows tune.

So far I have tried: removing battery, pressing power. Trying only one of the two RAM modules at a time. Connecting to my tv(though had never done it when was working so can't guarantee this is a fail)

No joy so far! Is there anything else I can try before I give in and it has to evaluated for repair? Any suggestions most welcome.

Many thanks. J

Pagey

Bright Spark
Sounds like the display light is buggered. But I'd like you to do a test for me:

Turn the laptop on as normal, but shine a bright light at the screen, if the LCD is operational, you should just about make out anything it's displaying. If nothing the cable supplying power and data to the screen could be damaged, either way have a chat with PCS to see what they would suggest considering it's an old laptop.

polkadotj

Sounds like the display light is buggered. But I'd like you to do a test for me:

Turn the laptop on as normal, but shine a bright light at the screen, if the LCD is operational, you should just about make out anything it's displaying. If nothing the cable supplying power and data to the screen could be damaged, either way have a chat with PCS to see what they would suggest considering it's an old laptop.

Thanks for the reply, just tried it and I'm not seeing anything, so at least it narrows it down more. Will give them a call when I can get some time during the day I think!