laptop stutters heavily in silent mode

zoinkle

i recently purchased a elima 17.3 inch laptop
specs :
intel i7 - 12700h
16gb dd4 2667 ram
rtx 3060
1tb m.2
i play older games like CSGO and ARMA 3 . I maintain 144 fps (capped) almost 100% of the time in entertainment mode and performance mode, however when i switch to silent my CSGO performance drops to about 120 but I get heavy stutters every .5 secs. Does anyone know what this is, im using DGPU and not integrated. this happens with all my other games except ARMA where the performance is fine. i understand lower voltage means less performance but I don't understand the constant stuttering. thanks in advance for any help

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
i recently purchased a elima 17.3 inch laptop
specs :
intel i7 - 12700h
16gb dd4 2667 ram
rtx 3060
1tb m.2
i play older games like CSGO and ARMA 3 . I maintain 144 fps (capped) almost 100% of the time in entertainment mode and performance mode, however when i switch to silent my CSGO performance drops to about 120 but I get heavy stutters every .5 secs. Does anyone know what this is, im using DGPU and not integrated. this happens with all my other games except ARMA where the performance is fine. i understand lower voltage means less performance but I don't understand the constant stuttering. thanks in advance for any help
Hiya, could you post your full specs from the order page please?

DarkPaladin

Enthusiast
Without knowing your full specifications, I'd likely assume this is thermal throttling. When you enable silent mode, you're essentially limiting the laptop's cooling capabilities in order to remain silent. When the laptop isn't actively trying to cool the system, the temperatures will have a difficult time maintaining your desired framerates and will instead throttle itself to prevent overheating. Silent mode can also reduce the system performance to maintain a specific temperature threshold (essentially thermal throttling).

Additionally, I've never played ARMA 3 but quick research suggests the game is mostly reliant on the CPU for performance. Older games may be designed to only use a specific number of cores (for example, Heroes of the Storm only utilises 1-2 cores regardless of the number of CPU cores available).

TL : DR
The issue you're having is likely CPU throttling due to no active cooling solution with silent mode enabled. I'd advise silent mode for browsing with performance/entertainment for gaming.