Laptop will not use its own monitor (15.6" OCTANE April 2015)

Arcbleast

Not sure is it my doing or something to do with the windows or navidia updates.

The laptop refuses to use its own monitor on restart.

it does know that it the monitor is connected and would connect to it under safe mode. by just will not connect to it if boot up normally.

It will however, connect to the TV via HDMI.

currently reinstalling windows (not clean) to see if this will resolve the issue.

Actions taken so far:

- reinstall navidia drives (clean install)

- System recovery (failed for unknow reason)

- restart in safe mode (proof that the monitor does work)

- remove last windows update (no effect)

- reinstall windows (not clean) (In progress)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not sure is it my doing or something to do with the windows or navidia updates.

The laptop refuses to use its own monitor on restart.

it does know that it the monitor is connected and would connect to it under safe mode. by just will not connect to it if boot up normally.

It will however, connect to the TV via HDMI.

currently reinstalling windows (not clean) to see if this will resolve the issue.

Actions taken so far:

- reinstall navidia drives (clean install)

- System recovery (failed for unknow reason)

- restart in safe mode (proof that the monitor does work)

- remove last windows update (no effect)

- reinstall windows (not clean) (In progress)
Sounds like the igpu has been disabled which controls the monitor screen. It won't work without that.

Windows reinstall should resolve it. But it needs to be a clean install.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
When you switch the PC on. Does the BIOS logo show? It's just in windows that it goes black?

My guess is that you may have switched the output selection. Sometimes to change this it's Fn-F7. It could be any of the F keys though, have a look for the logo on the FKeys and look for the one that has 2 screens on it. Hold the Fn key and tap this to see if that changes it.

You should also be able to do this via the display options, although there can sometimes be barriers put in the way.

Arcbleast

update
When you switch the PC on. Does the BIOS logo show? It's just in windows that it goes black?

My guess is that you may have switched the output selection. Sometimes to change this it's Fn-F7. It could be any of the F keys though, have a look for the logo on the FKeys and look for the one that has 2 screens on it. Hold the Fn key and tap this to see if that changes it.

You should also be able to do this via the display options, although there can sometimes be barriers put in the way.
Yes, it does show the bios logo.

already tried of it was the screen selection issue, which does not seems to be the case.

The screen does light up, but will not work.

It works when boot up on safe mode, but refuses to work when boot up windows normal.

update: Just did a clean reinstall of windows and it still have the same issue.

Could this be BIOS or firmware issue?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
update

already tried of it was the screen selection issue, which does not seems to be the case.

It works when boot up on safe mode, but refuses to work when boot up windows normal.

How did you perform a clean install, what method?

Arcbleast

Method:

1. settings > update and security > recovery > advance startup > restart > trouble shoot > reset this PC > remove everything

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Method:

1. settings > update and security > recovery > advance startup > restart > trouble shoot > reset this PC > remove everything
That's not a clean install, that's just a Windows reset, that won't resolve anything, needs to be a clean installation.

Aza

Rising Star
This thread may be of use, its another posters thread but covers the issue quite well

Id read the whole thread, and take note of @Scott comments as some of the steps mentioned by the OP arent needed.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
W10 Clean install instructions:

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

W11 Clean install instructions

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool (Second option on linked page) to an 8GB (min) USB.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

This is also worth a watch

Reactions: Aza

Aza

Rising Star
W10 Clean install instructions:

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.

W11 Clean install instructions

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool (Second option on linked page) to an 8GB (min) USB.

This is also worth a watch
Im sure there used to be a stickied post explaining it but I couldnt spot it.... Maybe if one of the mods could stick your post up in its own thread in the knowledge base section?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
update

In that case it's definitely a configuration issue. Either the bios is configured incorrectly or the os is.

Reformat will rule out the OS. A bios reset would rule out the bios.

Arcbleast

I think I just worked out what happened.

the clean install fixed the issue, But after I update the nvidia game drive the problem re-surfaced.

So I guess that is the issue.

Aza

Rising Star
How are you installing the nvidia drivers?
With or without GeForce/custom or express install?
I would use DDU to completely clear out the drivers and reinstall without GeForce. Do a custom install, and only install the driver, so untick the other three options. See if that makes any difference.

Arcbleast

Custom, clean install.

I downloaded the older driver from nivdia web site, and did another clean install seems like the latest driver is causing the issue.

Arcbleast

I would use DDU to completely clear out the drivers and reinstall without GeForce. Do a custom install, and only install the driver, so untick the other three options. See if that makes any difference.
Will do and get back to you on what happens.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Custom, clean install.

I downloaded the older driver from nivdia web site, and did another clean install seems like the latest driver is causing the issue.
Are you sure you're downloading and installing the laptop version of the driver

Jasontvnd

Bronze Level Poster
That model is a clevo right? Have you tried using the clevo specific 512.28 driver from there website?

I had some issues on defiance using the latest Nvidia drivers so now use the clevo specific 512.28 of there downloads page since it seems to be less buggy.

Im not a fan of using outdated drivers but it's still fairly new and wouldn't bother updating unless you have issues.