Laptop with quiet and superior cooling wanted. €1500 budget

amdolev

Problem with the Defiance over the Vyper is the lower spec GPUs - you'd have to go to a 2080 Max Q to match and then the price is significantly higher
This is true, but non-issue if I'm satisfied with 2060... am I satisfied with 2060?
2070 provides ~+10% in benchmarks (https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-RTX-2070-mobile-vs-GeForce-RTX-2060-mobile), which should be a no-brainer, but the heat and fan noise to go with it deter me.

I would've loved a 17" recoil with mobile CPU's...

plzt

This is true, but non-issue if I'm satisfied with 2060... am I satisfied with 2060?
2070 provides ~+10% in benchmarks (https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-RTX-2070-mobile-vs-GeForce-RTX-2060-mobile), which should be a no-brainer, but the heat and fan noise to go with it deter me.

I would've loved a 17" recoil with mobile CPU's...

I have heard that the 2070 super actually runs cooler overall than the 2070 which is why I'd had that as my main GPU standard to look for

amdolev

Alright, so here are my conclusions so far, and perhaps followup questions:
I hope I'm not too boring :p

1) The Clevo vs. TongFeng discussion is not interesting to me anymore. Both get raving and appalling reviews, just like any other manufacturer. Some will be very happy with their purchase, while some will be disappointed. My time working in service taught me that a satisfied customer usually says "thanks" and leaves, while a disappointed customer will complain and make his opinion heard to whomever is willing to listen. Hence, most of the relevant reviews in the forums I found to have a negative sentiment.
2) I found a cheap way to calculate how long my laptop will be "future proof": Tropico 6 is my game of choice, which has GTX960M as the "recommended GPU". I'd like to say that the 960M is the 2060 of 4 years ago, meaning my laptop will be able to play similar games for 4 years. every "bump up" in the GPU, will buy me another year. 2070 will get me ~5 years of smooth gaming on such titles. Getting an octa-core i7 is also pretty much a safe bet.
3) I prefer quiet and low temp, but I also accept that this is a rarity and a trade-off to power.
4) 17.3" is ~23% more screen size for a few bucks. worth it!
5) I might not know which chassis has the "refresh" RTX, so I'd appreciate the guiding hand.
Note the prices below are for my very skinny builds (no parts, no OS).

This leaves me with a few choices:
1) Vyper 17.3 with 2070 for €1541, and "the hell with heat"? (strongest option I can afford, closest to my ultimate choice)
2) Recoil 15.6 with 2060 for €1495, which is smaller, weaker GPU, but has 240Hz screen and a bit more "height" for heat management. Is the refresh rate worth the extra bucks and compromise in GPU?
3) From behind comes the 15.6 Optimus XI, with 2060 and only the six-core i7, some bulk to manage heat (2.8cm vs 2cm) and a price tag of only €1054 = playstation 5 in the end of the year!
4) Actually, how is the NOVA like? Will the 3700X not burn my desk? at 15.6", with 2070 and perhaps a bit too much height (3.25cm) for €1393 sounds too good to be true.
5) I think the defiance is out of the race, not being able to offer any advantage point...

help?

plzt

1) The Clevo vs. TongFeng discussion is not interesting to me anymore. Both get raving and appalling reviews, just like any other manufacturer. Some will be very happy with their purchase, while some will be disappointed. My time working in service taught me that a satisfied customer usually says "thanks" and leaves, while a disappointed customer will complain and make his opinion heard to whomever is willing to listen. Hence, most of the relevant reviews in the forums I found to have a negative sentiment.
2) I found a cheap way to calculate how long my laptop will be "future proof": Tropico 6 is my game of choice, which has GTX960M as the "recommended GPU". I'd like to say that the 960M is the 2060 of 4 years ago, meaning my laptop will be able to play similar games for 4 years. every "bump up" in the GPU, will buy me another year. 2070 will get me ~5 years of smooth gaming on such titles. Getting an octa-core i7 is also pretty much a safe bet.
3) I prefer quiet and low temp, but I also accept that this is a rarity and a trade-off to power.
5) I might not know which chassis has the "refresh" RTX, so I'd appreciate the guiding hand.

1) Vyper 17.3 with 2070 for €1541, and "the hell with heat"? (strongest option I can afford, closest to my ultimate choice)
2) Recoil 15.6 with 2060 for €1495, which is smaller, weaker GPU, but has 240Hz screen and a bit more "height" for heat management. Is the refresh rate worth the extra bucks and compromise in GPU?
3) From behind comes the 15.6 Optimus XI, with 2060 and only the six-core i7, some bulk to manage heat (2.8cm vs 2cm) and a price tag of only €1054 = playstation 5 in the end of the year!
4) Actually, how is the NOVA like? Will the 3700X not burn my desk? at 15.6", with 2070 and perhaps a bit too much height (3.25cm) for €1393 sounds too good to be true.
5) I think the defiance is out of the race, not being able to offer any advantage point...

help?
Good thoughts. Not sure why you'd go up screen refresh rate but down in GPU power so you can't effectively utilise it?

What about the Optimus Pro with the Ryzen 4800H?

Greenman

Enthusiast

help?

Fair point. I can only mention the Recoil/TongFang issues that i've experienced. I've left reviews here before with my previous Clevo models as well, I think it's a good idea to review things whether it's it's positive or negative. Helps balance things. Way too much negative reviews for things generally due to the issue you mention.

The Clevo I'm on now (Defiance) is pretty loud, but the temps are great. The TongFang Recoil ran pretty hot, but the cooling system wasn't too loud at all. Most reviews seem to praise that model for it's cooling. It's so thin I was expecting it to be quite loud.

As far as the Nova, people seem to praise the Ryzen CPU for running cooler than their intel counterparts. Better multithreaded performance as well. You could go for the Ryzen 5 3600, cheaper and just as good as the intel 10875h. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10875H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/m1111393vs4040

amdolev

Not the 17,3", it has a 144Hz screen
I see that now, so it's an option, but it means I need to sit and wait until the stock is available. who wants to sit and wait? :ROFLMAO:

Fair point. I can only mention the Recoil/TongFang issues that i've experienced. I've left reviews here before with my previous Clevo models as well, I think it's a good idea to review things whether it's it's positive or negative. Helps balance things. Way too much negative reviews for things generally due to the issue you mention.

The Clevo I'm on now (Defiance) is pretty loud, but the temps are great. The TongFang Recoil ran pretty hot, but the cooling system wasn't too loud at all. Most reviews seem to praise that model for it's cooling. It's so thin I was expecting it to be quite loud.

As far as the Nova, people seem to praise the Ryzen CPU for running cooler than their intel counterparts. Better multithreaded performance as well. You could go for the Ryzen 5 3600, cheaper and just as good as the intel 10875h. https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10875H-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600/m1111393vs4040
Thanks for the feedback. I'm already 2 weeks into this search, comparing and looking and pondering about 5 hours a day. It really is summed up by "I love my laptop, but had to RMA". I love seeing this forum so lively, it makes me hopeful if I ever get into technical issues.

So heat\noise is a trade-off... I think that for environmental reasons I prefer too much heat over noise pollution (I game on the living room table with others around me).
Now I'm so obsessed over the 2070, it makes me discount everything that is below that. It feels almost stupid.

amdolev

Just a note, cpubenchmark, uerbenchmark, any comparison site like that is total nonsense reposts that have no relevance whatsoever to real world performance and shouldnt be used, they really are Disinformation rather than an information source.
Good point, but then where oh where can we get proper benchmarks and impartial reviews? 😭😭😭😭
I've checked notebookreview forever, it makes my brain hurt. It takes forever to navigate it to a meaningful review, and they are overly inlove with Razer.

plzt

Good point, but then where oh where can we get proper benchmarks and impartial reviews? 😭😭😭😭
I've checked notebookreview forever, it makes my brain hurt. It takes forever to navigate it to a meaningful review, and they are overly inlove with Razer.
Bob of all Trades does good reviews on the chassis from Eluktronics and there are some scattered around. Problem is most people who are happy disappear after their laptop is with them so here and on Reddit will be a disproportionally large amount of people with problems

amdolev

Bob of all Trades does good reviews on the chassis from Eluktronics and there are some scattered around. Problem is most people who are happy disappear after their laptop is with them so here and on Reddit will be a disproportionally large amount of people with problems
my point exactly :ROFLMAO: You can't tell if a laptop problem appears more because the laptop is indeed problematic, or just a lot more popular and the problem ratio is the same with other brands.

amdolev

Good thoughts. Not sure why you'd go up screen refresh rate but down in GPU power so you can't effectively utilise it?

Maybe I'm simple: you mean if my GPU can't go above 144 fps, there's no need for a 240Hz monitor?
I found this, so I guess you're right...

plzt

Maybe I'm simple: you mean if my GPU can't go above 144 fps, there's no need for a 240Hz monitor?
I found this, so I guess you're right...
I do. And some games definitely will go above but most would not especially if played at highest quality. I'm looking at anything above 120hz as a bonus and trying to focus on quality such as %NTSC after that