Laptop with quiet and superior cooling wanted. €1500 budget

Greenman

Enthusiast
Just a note, cpubenchmark, uerbenchmark, any comparison site like that is total nonsense reposts that have no relevance whatsoever to real world performance and shouldnt be used, they really are Disinformation rather than an information source.

Something I didn't know.

Anything similar that is more useful?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Something I didn't know.

Anything similar that is more useful?
3rd party benchmarks are the only really reliable sources, like toms hardware, techradar, trusted reviews, gamers nexus, hardware unboxed... to name a few. These people actually test the hardware with real everyday software scenarios under strict test methodologies, so it’s meaningful.

comparison sites like cpubenchmark, userbenchmark etc just apply a value to a resource, ie each core equals 10 points... and it’s just absolute garbage results that doesn’t cater for the most meaningful aspects like IPC and other factors. Plus they’re Intel shills and changed their algorithms to favour intel once ryzen 3000 came out as ryzen beat intel in almost every metric.

skip to 10.48 in this video

Last edited:

amdolev

So after another day of pondering and valuable insight here, I've again come to a new shortlist! Hurray! but we are getting close!

I can call PCS tomorrow with a few questions, but maybe I can already ask for information here. I do apologize if this information is readily available in other threads, or even on this thread, as I got myself confused with all the options and models :D

the final candidates are (drumroll)
The Vyper 17.3", for having potentially the best hardware for I can afford, with the 2060 for €1350 (original budget), 2070 for €1540 (new budget point) and the 2070 Super for €1700 (what's a budget?). It's a new chassis with 8 core i7, thunderbolt and slick design.

Optimus Pro XI 17.3" (Thanks @maha) , for having the magic sweetspot of a great Ryzen CPU, the absolutely great 2060 and a 144Hz monitor. It has a bit of a bulk (3cm height) to cope with some heat and for €1166 it's an absolute bargain. The difference in price between this and the 2070 Vyper will already get me a Nintendo Switch :p

The former front-runner 15.6" Recoil IV fell from grace, as @plzt pointed me to the waste of investing in 240Hz monitor without the hardware to back it up. I also decided to focus on more realestate in the monitor.

Here are my questions:
1) Are the GPUs the refresh version for both the Optimus and the Vyper?
2) Is the max speed of the RAM really 2666MHz? I thought i7 support 2933 and the AMD 3200MHz
3) For PCS-NL, I really would've liked financing options: the quickest way to separate a man from his cash (other ways may be quicker). I'd get the 2070 Super without thinking twice.

As a thank you for all your answers so far, I promise to stick around, even if my laptop has no problems and keep helping others :)

cjohob

So after another day of pondering and valuable insight here, I've again come to a new shortlist! Hurray! but we are getting close!

I can call PCS tomorrow with a few questions, but maybe I can already ask for information here. I do apologize if this information is readily available in other threads, or even on this thread, as I got myself confused with all the options and models :D

the final candidates are (drumroll)
The Vyper 17.3", for having potentially the best hardware for I can afford, with the 2060 for €1350 (original budget), 2070 for €1540 (new budget point) and the 2070 Super for €1700 (what's a budget?). It's a new chassis with 8 core i7, thunderbolt and slick design.

Optimus Pro XI 17.3" (Thanks @maha) , for having the magic sweetspot of a great Ryzen CPU, the absolutely great 2060 and a 144Hz monitor. It has a bit of a bulk (3cm height) to cope with some heat and for €1166 it's an absolute bargain. The difference in price between this and the 2070 Vyper will already get me a Nintendo Switch :p

The former front-runner 15.6" Recoil IV fell from grace, as @plzt pointed me to the waste of investing in 240Hz monitor without the hardware to back it up. I also decided to focus on more realestate in the monitor.

Here are my questions:
1) Are the GPUs the refresh version for both the Optimus and the Vyper?
2) Is the max speed of the RAM really 2666MHz? I thought i7 support 2933 and the AMD 3200MHz
3) For PCS-NL, I really would've liked financing options: the quickest way to separate a man from his cash (other ways may be quicker). I'd get the 2070 Super without thinking twice.

As a thank you for all your answers so far, I promise to stick around, even if my laptop has no problems and keep helping others :)

I had email confirmation from PCS on Monday that the Optimus Pro with Ryzen features the refreshed version of the 2060. I believe it had already been confirmed elsewhere that all the new intel boards with 2060 are the refresh version, but perhaps someone else can say for sure?

I have ordered the Optimus Pro 17.3" with Ryzen 4800h, RTX 2060 and 16gb (2x8) of 2666 Ram.

I also wondered about the RAM speed. I know AMD support up to 3200. But I don't know how much difference this is going to make for gaming on an RTX2060 build. Maybe if this isn't an option that's because PCS think it isn't going to deliver that much benefit? But that's just a guess. Again, perhaps this is something others could wade in on?

cjohob

FYI: I've since emailed PCS directly to ask why the RAM speed is capped at 2666. Other build with this same chassis and CPU+GPU combo (so which presumably have the same mobo), such as the Eluktronics RP-17, do offer 3200, so it definitely doesn't seem to be a compatibility issue. I will update here for others' benefit when I hear back.

amdolev

I just went off the phone with PCS-NL.
The representative couldn't tell me if the 2060 is the refresh version, but if @cjohob had confirmation from them, I think it should be sufficient.

Regarding RAM speed: They "recommend" 2666MHz speeds, as this gave the most stable performance in their tests. He said I can indeed have a faster module connected and the CPU might support that speed, but the MoBo is also a factor and most laptop brands do actually recommend slower speeds than the one the CPU supports.

Regarding heat, being both TongFeng he said heat performance should be similar between the 2, but the extra height of the Optimus might help a bit more.

Ordering the laptop now, I should expect to get both within a week or so difference. There's low stock in Vyper as well and more will arrive early next week.

No financing option in NL indeed.

Otherwise, it's now up to make the final decision. I'll post here the results :)

amdolev

If you had to compare the Optimus 4800H + 2060 and the Vyper 10875 + 2070 Super to car brands\models, which would they be? :)

amdolev

If you had to compare the Optimus 4800H + 2060 and the Vyper 10875 + 2070 Super to car brands\models, which would they be? :)
Okay okay, that last question was a bit too boring, even for me :D .
On the flipside, I pulled the trigger. It took a while, but I went all in and got the Vyper 17 with RTX2070 Super. It was eventually an obvious choice to get such a laptop, as it's the only one that could have this config, yet still be under 2K (since I'm swimming in parts and licenses).
I still can't believe the chassis will handle the heat, but we'll have to wait and see.

Optimus Pro XI was there up to the last moment, when my wife told me she kinda likes the thick one better....
A benchmark comperison: https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-RTX-2060-mobile-vs-GeForce-RTX-2070-Super-mobile sealed the deal with 64.2% better performance, with only 40% more to pay (than optimus with 2060). Even if not accurate, it still tells a story.

There's only one question left.
I pulled the trigger and expect the machine to arrive mid July. On mid July I'm going away for a while, which begs the question: are there any rumors of any game-changing chassis that is due to arrive in the coming month?

Thank you, everyone, so far. You've been super helpful!

cjohob

PCS in the UK also say about RAM speed: "We test different RAM configurations in house, and only offer what we’ve found to be stable." That satisfies me. From the real-world tests I've seen online it seems not to make a huge difference in terms of frame rate.

Make sure you give us a review of the Vyper when it comes! I'll be interested to hear how the RTX2070 Super gets on irl, and how it compares to my 2060. The 2070 was way out of my price range so no chance of buyer's remorse on my part. I'm just interested.

plzt

Okay okay, that last question was a bit too boring, even for me :D .
On the flipside, I pulled the trigger. It took a while, but I went all in and got the Vyper 17 with RTX2070 Super. It was eventually an obvious choice to get such a laptop, as it's the only one that could have this config, yet still be under 2K (since I'm swimming in parts and licenses).
I still can't believe the chassis will handle the heat, but we'll have to wait and see.

Optimus Pro XI was there up to the last moment, when my wife told me she kinda likes the thick one better....
A benchmark comperison: https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-RTX-2060-mobile-vs-GeForce-RTX-2070-Super-mobile sealed the deal with 64.2% better performance, with only 40% more to pay (than optimus with 2060). Even if not accurate, it still tells a story.

There's only one question left.
I pulled the trigger and expect the machine to arrive mid July. On mid July I'm going away for a while, which begs the question: are there any rumors of any game-changing chassis that is due to arrive in the coming month?

Thank you, everyone, so far. You've been super helpful!
Let us know! I jumped on a G14 offer from amazon yesterday as portability is my main want, followed by power. I may take advantage of Amazon's return policy though if it just doesn't provide enough power!
So a Vyper 3 15.6" with a 2070 Super is still on the cards