Latest RTX 3000 laptops & Linux

MediumJumbo

Hi all,

Has there been any info on the state of Linux support for the latest RTX 3000 based laptops? I've seen there's a couple of posts on specs and chassis and I know that they've not been available for too long.

Possibly interested in going for one but don't really want to end up with too much of a fight with it.

ryan_e

Has there been any info on the state of Linux support for the latest RTX 3000 based laptops? I've seen there's a couple of posts on specs and chassis and I know that they've not been available for too long.
As someone who bought a decent Defiance recently, I am struggling to install Ubuntu on the machine. I've tried installing on a drive and trying to boot load from the image, but the image isn't visible in the "Insydeh20" bios. The drive is visible, other folders are visible, just not the image to boot from. Safe boot is also turned off, so I think I'm stuck with using WSL if I fancy any flavour of Linux.

I've not tried any other distros.

Only an anecdote, but I hope it helps!

solidus1983

Bronze Level Poster
You need to disable Secure Boot as some installers do not have signed bootloaders.

I have ran Debian on my Clevo X170KM-G which has an RTX 3070 without issues aside from adding some switches to grub

Code:
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor

which is to sort the slow boot issues due to DSDT issues.

However i can make a suggestion to use Ventoy https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html it makes USB Bootable media easier, you simply drag the ISO to the USB and select after booting from the USB.