LED strips

Tanziebob

I've got a PCS computer less than a year old, has just been away under RMA for weeks getting the cpu pump/cooler replaced. It came back and the LED case strip doesn't seem to be working. Fans front and rear colours are there, along with the LED on the pump, but nothing from the strip around the edge of the case. I'm not willing to send the thing back for another bunch of weeks, just for some pretty lights, and was hoping someone would have a simple solution here.

Do these things just tend to die pretty quickly, is it likely to be a software issue or perhaps a loose cable?

When it came back it had packing inside that was very well lodged and took me some time to get it out as I was trying to be careful. I did check the wiring and didn't see any loose connections, but if I know where I'm looking, I could check again.

I have Armoury Crate and it doesn't suggest there are any problems, although I must admit I use that via trial and error :p

*Edit .. and just for a bit more info .. it only took them 2-3 days to repair, once they started on the repair. But it took weeks for them to receive it because first the delivery company "lost" it, then they claimed the packaging was damaged so badly they had to repackage before sending on for repair. Then after repair, it sat for several days waiting for a pickup before finally being delivered back today (which was actually a surprise, as I received messages stating it would be Monday). It arrived with a big dent/rip in the top of the box, although there didn't appear to be any damage inside.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've got a PCS computer less than a year old, has just been away under RMA for weeks getting the cpu pump/cooler replaced. It came back and the LED case strip doesn't seem to be working. Fans front and rear colours are there, along with the LED on the pump, but nothing from the strip around the edge of the case. I'm not willing to send the thing back for another bunch of weeks, just for some pretty lights, and was hoping someone would have a simple solution here.

Do these things just tend to die pretty quickly, is it likely to be a software issue or perhaps a loose cable?

When it came back it had packing inside that was very well lodged and took me some time to get it out as I was trying to be careful. I did check the wiring and didn't see any loose connections, but if I know where I'm looking, I could check again.

I have Armoury Crate and it doesn't suggest there are any problems, although I must admit I use that via trial and error :p

*Edit .. and just for a bit more info .. it only took them 2-3 days to repair, once they started on the repair. But it took weeks for them to receive it because first the delivery company "lost" it, then they claimed the packaging was damaged so badly they had to repackage before sending on for repair. Then after repair, it sat for several days waiting for a pickup before finally being delivered back today (which was actually a surprise, as I received messages stating it would be Monday). It arrived with a big dent/rip in the top of the box, although there didn't appear to be any damage inside.
Just check if it's plugged in correctly, may have come loose in shipping.

Tanziebob

Just check if it's plugged in correctly, may have come loose in shipping.
Unfortunately I can only find one end of it .. it did seem a bit loose on the LED strip end, as it managed to detach itself almost as soon as I touched it .. and was a right palavar to get reconnected. The other end disappears under solid bits of case and I couldn't find where it appeared anywhere else. As far as I could see, there were only a couple it could have been, based on what it looked like on it's way in, and none were loose. Irrespective of my fiddling, it made no difference.

Tanziebob

Okay I tracked down the other end - primarily by looking up the specs of the motherboard and working out roughly where it SHOULD be plugged into :p Both ends are secure. Armory Crate doesn't appear to see it at all (it keeps suggesting I plug something in). There are two potential places for an RGB strip to be plugged in, as far as I can tell. Both are sort of 4 pin sockets, but one has only three pins there, if that makes sense. One says 6v the other says 12v. The RGB strip that I have, on the non-motherboard end, states 12v, however, the plug at the other end is attached to the 6v socket. But ... it cannot be put into the 12v socket because it only has three pin slots (it basically has two, then a "blank" then another 1), so it will only fit on the 6v one. Working on the assumption that they wouldn't have done something completely weird with the wiring for the RGB strip whilst it was in for a cpu cooler replacement, the only conclusion I can reach is that the RGB strip itself is broken? Any other thoughts?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Okay I tracked down the other end - primarily by looking up the specs of the motherboard and working out roughly where it SHOULD be plugged into :p Both ends are secure. Armory Crate doesn't appear to see it at all (it keeps suggesting I plug something in). There are two potential places for an RGB strip to be plugged in, as far as I can tell. Both are sort of 4 pin sockets, but one has only three pins there, if that makes sense. One says 6v the other says 12v. The RGB strip that I have, on the non-motherboard end, states 12v, however, the plug at the other end is attached to the 6v socket. But ... it cannot be put into the 12v socket because it only has three pin slots (it basically has two, then a "blank" then another 1), so it will only fit on the 6v one. Working on the assumption that they wouldn't have done something completely weird with the wiring for the RGB strip whilst it was in for a cpu cooler replacement, the only conclusion I can reach is that the RGB strip itself is broken? Any other thoughts?
Worth raising with PCS then for a replacement.

Tanziebob

Well I've sent them a message - really can't be bothered trying to ring them because it takes forever to get through, and I'm not in any rush to get pretty lights. Normally get a reply in 1-2 weeks through the message system. I'm hoping they'll just send me a replacement without any faff.