LG 29WK600 HDR monitor not engaging HDR (even when it is applied in windows)

qwerty_asdf

Ever since I upgraded from an RX 580 to a GTX 1080 about a year ago (I since have had several PC's with various AMD and Nvidia cards, all of which I have been having the same issue with), I have not been able to get the HDR10 function to work on the display. I have all the latest GPU and LG drivers installed, and windows admits that the display does have HDR support and can be enabled within windows settings. When I enable it, the screen looks incredibly grey and washed out, and the monitor does not enable HDR mode within itself.

When HDR was working, an 'HDR' symbol appeared on the display and new HDR settings became available on the monitor, and the picture was much more rich and colorful. Now this 'HDR' message never appears on the display as if the display does not realize windows is activating HDR mode. I have tried everything including enabling/disabling adaptive sync, trying new resolutions, different drivers, messing with settings within the monitor.

The display is connected with displayport, I have a Ryzen 5 1600x, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4 RAM.

I don't understand what is going wrong. Any help would be appreciated.