Lid Closing Issue

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Tried both of the existing power schemes (balanced and ryzen balanced) and created my own scheme (incase that made a difference) - also restarted having done so multiple times (full restarts) in every state the monitor continues to enter sleep as soon as it shuts despite the setting stating 'do nothing'.
I've searched the NVIDIA control panel to see if something there was over riding the laptops setting - cant see anything relating to the lid closing.
Online I found someone reporting the same issue back in 2014 - their solution doesn't apply to my PC. People have suggested updating drivers, but this is a month old so I assume the drivers are pretty upto date.
I take it you've run and applied all windows updates when you got the laptop? That's the first thing you do with any new computer or laptop as the windows installation and drivers will have updates that need applying out of the box.

I would run the AMD updater tool, there have been scenarios where windows hasn't applied the latest chipset drivers, just update any it finds:

And of course run all windows updates until there are none left.

ChrCul

Yeah, all updates done, windows and AMD.

Whats strange is that everything else on that menu works...so If I set it to either Shut Down, Hibernate or Sleep on lid close it will do any of those options whereas if I set it to do nothing it seems to default to Sleep.
Interestingly and I'm not sure if these two issues are connected - but when I change the power plan (like you suggested to the ryzen one etc) it simply reverts back to the balanced one when I restart.
Its almost like I have an issue where my power settings are being overridden by something

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, all updates done, windows and AMD.

Whats strange is that everything else on that menu works...so If I set it to either Shut Down, Hibernate or Sleep on lid close it will do any of those options whereas if I set it to do nothing it seems to default to Sleep.
Interestingly and I'm not sure if these two issues are connected - but when I change the power plan (like you suggested to the ryzen one etc) it simply reverts back to the balanced one when I restart.
Its almost like I have an issue where my power settings are being overridden by something
Just to confirm, have you got clevo control center installed? Should be in running programs in the taskbar.

ChrCul

Yep, Clevo control centre is running.
Out of interest I've tried rebooting with all startup services other than microsoft services disabled and it still sleeps on closing. - Saying that it doesnt seem to stop the clevo control centre coming on - so yes, its definitely running whatever I do.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yep, Clevo control centre is running.
Out of interest I've tried rebooting with all startup services other than microsoft services disabled and it still sleeps on closing. - Saying that it doesnt seem to stop the clevo control centre coming on - so yes, its definitely running whatever I do.
Which version of control center is it running? It may be out of date.

we can make sure it’s the latest CC as that’s the management driver that ties into all drivers.

If that fails to change it then I’d contact PCS and report it to them.

ChrCul

Thank you for your time on this- I fear this is not going to be an easy fix!
Its version 3 package v2.21

ChrCul

Hi
Sorry about the delay on this....I think its NH55ADY

Also, Im not sure if this is relevant (again saw this referenced on a website) If I restart the machine and enter the bios settings as I close the lid the machine once again blanks the display just before the lid closes. Supposedly according to a Mod on a very old Dell forum that means that this is likely to be a hardware issue rather than a software issue....(No idea if thats true or not)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi
Sorry about the delay on this....I think its NH55ADY

Also, Im not sure if this is relevant (again saw this referenced on a website) If I restart the machine and enter the bios settings as I close the lid the machine once again blanks the display just before the lid closes. Supposedly according to a Mod on a very old Dell forum that means that this is likely to be a hardware issue rather than a software issue....(No idea if thats true or not)
Try this update to control center:

BTW any driver updates should be applied from Clevo at www.clevo.com.tw, not your PCS downloads page as they will be out of date:

1617512071317.png

FerrariVie

Super Star
I have the Nova as well, but can't tell how that works on mine since I don't usually use an external monitor. I'll borrow one to give it a try later today and report back.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Reporting back on this after borrowing a monitor. I tested it with both Duplicate and Extend projection types, and in any case the external screen flashes black for a few seconds after the lid is closed, but then it turns back on. I use the "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan (default with no changes), the latest chipset from AMD and lid closing settings as below:
1617744210494.png

Maybe it has something to do with refresh rates? One thing I noticed is that when I closed the lid, the monitor was reporting a message about "change refresh rate back to 60Hz for better visuals", while when the lid was open no message was being displayed (so I'm assuming it was in 60Hz already). It could be that the screen is using a different refresh rate or even different resolution whenever the lid is open or closed.

Last edited:

ChrCul

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in responding.
So I updated the clevo control center - unfortunately no change.
I also understand about the importance of refresh rates with TVs, I know that when I first connected it I couldn't get a display at all and had to fiddle around to make the secondary display refresh at a rate the TV was capable of handling - But unfortunately messing with those settings doesn't seem to affect the laptop entering sleep as soon as I shut the lid. If the machine is 'forcing' a refresh rate that the TV cant handle when I shut the lid that is a possibility - but I'm not sure how I change that?
One interesting thing. On one TV I can connect the laptop wirelessly and it works absolutely fine-I can close the lid and the display still stays on. It's only on the TV where I need to make a wired HDMI connection (because I cant seem to get the TV to work with screen sharing wirelessly) that I have the issue.
It seems strange that it works on wireless mode but that the HDMI seems to alter the situation.

Thank you both for your time and effort to try to help with this!

ChrCul

New discovery - If I select 'second screen only' in the display settings (Fn F7) where you decide whether you want to duplicate or extend the display for the second monitor - the display cuts off - so I end up with the laptop blank and the tv also blank. I have to switch back to 'duplicate' for the image to reappear on both the laptop and the TV. I cannot get it to only display on the TV even with the monitor screen open! So maybe this isn't an issue with the power settings

FerrariVie

Super Star
I would also try to connect the HDMI cable to the TV that you were able to connect wirelessly with no issues. Maybe it's something with the TV itself? But if that one also doesn't work, then it could be the cable as @Bhuna50 said

ChrCul

Yep, tried a different cable.
Basically I can both duplicate and extend the screen and it will appear successfully on display '2'. I can even extend it and then make display 2 the main display (so that I can only control the laptop using the 2nd display) but as soon as I select 'show only on 2' whatever mode I'm in I then get a blank screen on both the laptop and on the 2nd display.

ChrCul

Okay, thank you everyone for your advice/suggestion.

Basically its the HDMI 'splitter' (even though I have 2 completely different ones it seems to do it with both)

HDMI straight to TV upstairs - works, I can shut the lid and the display stays on. So suggests its the TV as you guys said.

HDMI straight to TV that was an issue - also works, I shut lid, TV display stays on. So its not the TV itself...
Which means it must be the HDMI splitter causing the issue. (I hadn't even mentioned it was on a splitter because clearly I'm too stupid to realise it could have been making a difference and I also have no idea why I didn't just try the laptop with an HDMI connection upstairs ages ago!)

Sorry for being dense/Thank you for the help - I wouldn't have figured this out without your suggestions!

***** EDIT - Nope, its not even the splitter. If I connect the HDMI cable from the HDMI port I was using for this test (HDMI1) to the splitter and then a cable from the splitter to the laptop, it works!!!!

So this means its actually either
a)the original HDMI cable running from the TV (in the wall) to the splitter. or
b)the HDMI 2 port on the TV itself which happens to be the UHD port

What a mission!

Last edited:

Bhuna50

Author Level
Try a new splitter if you need to use one.

Might be old standard, slight damage or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk