Limited amount of CPU's that can be overclocked, why?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Why is there such a small amount of CPU's available in the Overclocked section? It would be nice to see a larger variety included like the 4 core phenom black edition processors.

Meds

We are working on offering more OC CPUs as we speak - especially AMD. However, we will not be offering an OC on every CPU we stock.

Gorman

Author Level
Overclocking is the process of running a computer component at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for or was specified by the manufacturer , usually practiced by enthusiasts seeking an increase in the performance of their computers.

Overclocking is pushing the chip further than it was intended, we all know this.

The problem is that every CPU is different, and i dont mean like an AMD 945 and an I7 950 are different, i mean that one AMD 945 (or whatever) is very different to the next one in the tray. From the sand the chip was made from to all sorts of production and environmental factors.

So when it comes to overclocking this gives us a few problems. One CPU will overclock better than another, again talking about identical models. So we have to find a stable overclock which will suite the majority of CPU's. Even when we have found this sweet spot it will vary slightly from CPU to CPU (still talking about the same models) and some CPU's just wont overclock at all. This takes time away from the testing guys trying to find a stable overclock and it can take literally days of testing and experimenting to be confident enough to list a new CPU.

The most important factor for us is stability, as we offer a warranty we cannot afford to send out machines that have suspect overclocks. So once we have spent days testing and tweaking a particular model, before we list it we have to do it all again several times to be sure. It takes literally ages.

We offer overclocking as it is becoming a popular choice, but overclocking is and always will be pushing the hardware harder than it was intended for, until recently the domain of very dedicated enthusiasts.