Linux Information

xkeighleycha

Hello :turned:,

I have an old PC which is use for gaming occasionally. I don't really have much knowledge on computer but I know that it has 6GB of RAM and it has a quad core processor and a 512MB graphics card (I think). Sorry for the sketchy information. I currently run Windows XP which as I now understand is not supported with updates etc.

I was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to gift me there opinion on swapping to Linux? I only play games on it occasionally (such as Medieval Total War 2 etc.) and I would idealy like an operating system that is up to date. I've always heard good things about it so I was just looking for some opinions.

I've only just joined the forum and I am looking forward to here some replies (if I get any) :

Thanks,
Jack.

rapiddescent

Bronze Level Poster
Gaming on linux is mostly limited to the Steam based games (a lot of them have Linux versions). There are lot of free games that come with linux but these aren't as good as modern games that you pay for or get off Steam.

Your PC will run Linux easily (it is designed to run on a much broader spectrum of computers) and it will run pretty fast on your machine.

My advice
  • Download a "Live CD" or "live USB" from Ubuntu or Fedora
  • The Live CD/Live USB edtion means you can try it out without ruining or deleting your Windows XP
  • If you like it, then backup your stuff on your current hard disk (or get a new hard disk)
  • install the new linux system on the computer using the "install" feature

It will seem a bit different at first, but the nice thing abut Linux is that it stays rock solid - wheeras Windows XP gets slower and slower over time.

Stephen M

Author Level
I have heard good reports of WINE, which allows you to run Windows progs on a Linux OS, if you try Zorin, which is designed for new users migrating from WIndows, WINE comes with the OS.

I agree with Rapidescent about two of the best but if you want to try both on a dual-boot it is best to install Fedora first as Ubuntu will partition automatically for you.

TheGSL

Silver Level Poster
I use Ubuntu, 14.04 LTS of late, good os, looks nice, works with Steam, has an app store type thing, fairly easy, less than
a gig download for the disc image, it will also take care of partitioning for you if you want to dual boot using grub, save you
having to use easybcd, if you know about these things, hopefully this hasn't confused you.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ubuntu would be your best bet for ease of use as well as the only one that runs the linux games properly. Either that or you could try SteamOS, a dedicated Linux gaming OS developed by Valve (Steam) themselves and probably has better compatibility and ease of use than any of the others but will have limited functionality in terms of a regular computer. There is a browser but its pretty basic and I'm unsure if you can install other Linux applications to SteamOS.

Joey

Identifying distos as 'the best one' is usually a good start for a flame war :p

I'll steer clear of that, the mentioned distros are indeed well liked and good distros. Myself, i use Linux Mint (which is in turn a clone of a clone, with the same Debian ancestry as Ubuntu) which works well for me.

Back up important data. Other than that, if you played with a live cd/USB for a bit I'd avise to move to a dual boot as you'll quickly become tired of waiting for the dvd/cd/usb to spin up or light up at every other action and loosing work after you've shut down the system. First do a backup. Any distro is able to resize your partitions for you duing install to free up space for Linux (in case you don't have a spare HD laying around), but pay attention to what you klick during the install. First back up imprant data, though. Most installers will detect your XP installation and will offer to install Linux alongside it, but not all, so pay attention. Backup. There will be an option to do an 'expert' disk resizing (or something similar), don't let that deter you. It's not as hard as it sounds. And don't forget to do a backup of your important data, did I mention that?

For more info find a local LUG (linux user group), google is your friend. And next time you're in town try to get a hold of a copy of Linux Format, a great source for all things Linux for old and new users. They have an active and helpfull forum, by the way. As for games, i hear http://www.gamingonlinux.com/ is the place to go, but i'm not a gamer so this is third hand information.

Good luck trying linux!

Joe