Linux Mint v21.3 / 21.3 Cinnamon - WiFi network driver

JeryBear

I'm fairly new to Linux but not entirely. I installed v19 to three 32-bit laptops without any hitch.

However on my PCS Recoil I cannot see any WiFi networks - a common problem I understand. I have hardwired to the router and used DriverManager ... but no WiFi network driver to install is listed. Any of you guys got any suggestions?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm fairly new to Linux but not entirely. I installed v19 to three 32-bit laptops without any hitch.

However on my PCS Recoil I cannot see any WiFi networks - a common problem I understand. I have hardwired to the router and used DriverManager ... but no WiFi network driver to install is listed. Any of you guys got any suggestions?
Can you post your full specs from the order page please?

JeryBear

Registering for this forum has upset my main PCS credentials and now I can't log-into my main a/c. Just as soon as I've got that sorted I'll retrieve the order specification. In summary it's a 17" Recoil laptop, i9, 64GB main memory, 4TB disk storage and RTX4050 GPU (or possibly 4060 ... I need to check.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Registering for this forum has upset my main PCS credentials and now I can't log-into my main a/c. Just as soon as I've got that sorted I'll retrieve the order specification. In summary it's a 17" Recoil laptop, i9, 64GB main memory, 4TB disk storage and RTX4050 GPU (or possibly 4060 ... I need to check.
It’s a separate account, they’re not connected.

JeryBear

I'm not so sure about that Spyder.

If I change my password on one system, I'm then blocked from logging into the other. I use the same email address and password for both. Sometimes one or other system then complains my email address is not unique? Confused? I am. Persevering though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm not so sure about that Spyder.

If I change my password on one system, I'm then blocked from logging into the other. I use the same email address and password for both. Sometimes one or other system then complains my email address is not unique? Confused? I am. Persevering though.
Urm, you may not be sure, but after 10 years, I’m quite certain.

They’re separate accounts, so if you’re trying to log on to them both with the same account, it’s not going to work.

This forum has a username, not email address, the main PCs site uses an email address as the user. They’re totally different accounts. They’re not connected in any way. It’s 2 separate websites.

JeryBear

Okey dokey, retrieved the order details ...

Chassis & DisplayRecoil Series: 17" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1600)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i9 24 Core Processor 13900HX (5.4GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)64GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (2 x 32GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4060 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive4TB CORSAIR CORE XT MP600 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 5000 MB/R, 4400 MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor1 x 280W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryRecoil Series Integrated 99WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteLIQUID METAL PERFORMANCE COOLING
Sound CardNahimic by SteelSeries 2 Channel HD Audio
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1675i + BT 5.3
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard LanguageRECOIL 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating SystemNO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaNO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserFirefox™
Notebook MouseINTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
WebcamINTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

... and for clarity, I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon v 21.2 which the system subsequently upgraded to 21.3

Machine cannot see any WiFi networks under either 21.2 or21.3. I think it's missing one or more drivers that aren't being identified within Driver Manager.

Last edited:

JeryBear

I'm wondering if Linux doesn't yet have drivers for :-

GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1675i + BT 5.3

???

Anyway, I tried re-installing Linux 21.2 but received security violation msg. So turned OFF the secured boot in bios settings and re-install went ahead. whilst machine hardwired to router. Now, Linux won't even boot.

I don't know if this is peculiar to v21 but I'm now tempted to try and install an earlier version, say v19 64bit.

Doesn't seem much interest on this forum.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm wondering if Linux doesn't yet have drivers for :-

GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6E AX1675i + BT 5.3

???

Anyway, I tried re-installing Linux 21.2 but received security violation msg. So turned OFF the secured boot in bios settings and re-install went ahead. whilst machine hardwired to router. Now, Linux won't even boot.

I don't know if this is peculiar to v21 but I'm now tempted to try and install an earlier version, say v19 64bit.

Doesn't seem much interest on this forum.
Mint is a very cut down OS that's designed to be a windows alternative with everything baked in, but you don't have much control over it if it doesn't support your specific component.

But came across this for Ubuntu but may give you a solution in DriverManager in Mint

Be aware, few of us know linux, and none of the current regulars, and PCS don't support linux on their devices, and none of us work for PCS, we're just nerds and customers, same as you.

JeryBear

Thanks for the link Spyder.

Yes I'm very aware that Linux is a community of enthusiasts at enormously varying levels of expertise with Linux. I guess most are indeed like myself, comparative novices. Somethink like Mint which was designed for former windoze users and is meant (and does for the most part) run out of the box.

Very frustrating though having purchased a high powered laptop to find that it would appear a few pretty essential functions won't work owing to 'probable' lack of suitable Linux drivers.

I'm really loathed to move to Windoze 10 or 11 and just hope someday I'll find / stumble onto a solution. I just don't know what to expect.

Think I might join the Linux.org forum and see what else I can learn there. If I find a solution I'll certainly post back here.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the link Spyder.

Yes I'm very aware that Linux is a community of enthusiasts at enormously varying levels of expertise with Linux. I guess most are indeed like myself, comparative novices. Somethink like Mint which was designed for former windoze users and is meant (and does for the most part) run out of the box.

Very frustrating though having purchased a high powered laptop to find that it would appear a few pretty essential functions won't work owing to 'probable' lack of suitable Linux drivers.

I'm really loathed to move to Windoze 10 or 11 and just hope someday I'll find / stumble onto a solution. I just don't know what to expect.

Think I might join the Linux.org forum and see what else I can learn there. If I find a solution I'll certainly post back here.
You haven’t said if you tried the above workaround?

There are plenty of Linux distros where you have better control over the drivers. The workaround to this issue is linked above, so it does work if you know how to manage your kernel.

PCS explicitly don’t support Linux, which is highlighted at the time of purchase, so it is expected that you understand kernel compatibility and have verified components are compatible with your distro if you’re using it.

Last edited: