Linux on a custom workstation

Hello,
Below are the specs I have in mind, I would like to install Centos 7.6:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-10900X (3.7GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Motherboard: ASUS® WS X299 SAGE: USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s
Memory (RAM): 64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card :pNY QUADRO RTX 4000 8GB GDDR6, 2304 CUDA CORES - 3 x DP, 1 x DVI-D
1st Storage Drive: 256GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive: 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
Sound Card: ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wired Networking: 2 x 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORTS (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)

Power Supply: CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling: Corsair H150i PRO Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans: 2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

I was wondering whether I can expect problems during the OS installation, or any compatibility problem.

Thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Any reason you’re going for Intel over AMD? For almost all uses, AMD would offer literally double the performance for the same or less money.

This is a good question, for which I had to do some research to answer :)
First of all, there is only the Intel option in the Workstation customization form.
Perhaps that is for a reason, simply because at comparable price, the Intel cheaper range (Core, rather than Xeon) does seem to perform better than AMD for the application I wish to run (Houdini). The really good AMD, like the Threadripper, seem to be more expensive.
I found this information is several sites, this is one of them:

An other reason is that at work we use some i9 on Centos7, and I hope that my configuration will be able to run Linux as smooth.

Stephen M

Author Level
I cannot see there should be any problems with Linux on that, I have an old i9 which mainly runs Ubuntu. Have you looked at the AMD EPYC CPUs, they are out-performing Intel by some way now. It also may be worth contacting PCS about future options for their Workstation PCs as they do update from time to time.

Thank you Stephen, for confirming about the CPU.
My question is also around the motherboard and the various component, like storage controller and network.
In the specs I do not have the model of the NIC, but the Asus website says that that mother board has two Intel NICs : Intel I210-AT and Intel I219-LM . I do not have experience with those on Centos 7...

Just wondering whether anyone out there has experienced Linux installations on the Asus WS X299 SAGE.
Asus declares support until RedHat 7.4, which is promising.

Cheers,
marina

Stephen M

Author Level
You would need to contact PCS for those details. These fora are just customers of the company, the employees look by at times but for an official response you need to ring or email.