Little Odd-Mod-Job for a Sunday

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, for the meantime in my new rig, I want to reinstall my GTX1080 but take off the modded hybrid cooler. The 120mm Radiator is just annoying aesthetically in a case, so I want to revert it to the normal founders edition shroud. It's only to see me though probably until next gen are released in October at this rate.

Hopefully I wake up with a bit of go get it attitude!

Scan from 2024-03-02 09_38_31 PM.jpg

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The 1080 really has stood the test of time, hasn’t it? It’s been so consistently good for such a long time, if it wasn’t for the rise of the ray tracing era it’d still be a hugely competent GPU.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The 1080 really has stood the test of time, hasn’t it? It’s been so consistently good for such a long time, if it wasn’t for the rise of the ray tracing era it’d still be a hugely competent GPU.
Best series I think to date for price vs performance. They are built like tanks. The coolers aren’t as good as the RTX founders editions, and you had to set custom fan curves out of the box or they didn’t cool enough, but aside from that, they’re pretty amazing.

I haven’t checked to see if anyone has taken up EVGAs mantle on hybrid cooling mods, but actually with how good the RTX FE coolers are, you really don’t need one anymore.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, the journey has completed

Firstly, remove the capture screws to release the shroud from the card, notice how degraded the paste is on the GPU die, I'm amazed this wasn't overheating actually!

Scan from 2024-03-03 10_53_17 AM.jpg

Closeup of the paste degredation

Scan from 2024-03-03 10_53_44 AM.jpg

Remove the shroud and backplate entirely

Useful view of those who weren't aware. The actual GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is only the chip, that's the part that Nvidia make. The entire board around it is the part that board partners design themselves based on reference requirements (or Nvidia for the founders edition models). But the actual silicon die is just like a CPU. Essentially a Graphics Card is very much the same as a micro computer, on the left, the silver square caps are the VRM's of the power supply (same as you'd find on a motherboard, them you have the VRAM chips (like RAM on a motherboard) just to the right of them nearer the GPU die and a couple to the right of the GPU die and 3 below it, then the GPU die itself. Really the rest to the far left is merely the PSU supply to the VRMs and to the right is the output stage to the connectors.

Scan from 2024-03-03 11_04_13 AM.jpg

Clean the GPU die as best as possible with some isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.

Scan from 2024-03-03 11_07_49 AM.jpg

Get the Founders Edition heatsink and shroud ready, it's pretty much one piece so really easy, and just 2 cables for lights and the fan. Apply some paste to the die, I realise this paste application is disgustingly poor!

Scan from 2024-03-03 11_24_21 AM.jpg

Re do all the screws and attach the backplate

Scan from 2024-03-03 11_48_58 AM.jpg

And done, card all back together.

Fingers crossed it works!!!

Scan from 2024-03-03 11_49_33 AM.jpg

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
RTX models are definitely more complex than the older GTX, this is especially true of the founders edition cards, so be aware of that. But if you find you’re still using an older card and not getting the performance you used to, it could well be down to degraded paste.

In fact a GPU is another use case like a laptop where the benefit of the Thermal Grizzly Kryosheet comes into play in the fact that you can apply it once and never worry about it degrading. So if you're getting a GPU knowing that it's going to be for long term use, there's an argument that applying a kryosheet early is a good idea to avoid performance degradation.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And a 20 minute Furmark 2 torture test after adjusting the fan profile to keep temps within 84c which is the target temp, don’t want it going above that.

2024-03-03 13_34_07-Geeks3D FurMark 2.1.0.2 - [ FurMark (GL) ] - 71 FPS, 13.940ms - NVIDIA GeF...jpg

So that's the new build for now until I upgrade the GPU. Happy with that!

20240303_130945426_iOS.jpg

FerrariVie

Super Star
So, the journey has completed

Firstly, remove the capture screws to release the shroud from the card, notice how degraded the paste is on the GPU die, I'm amazed this wasn't overheating actually!

View attachment 40348

Closeup of the paste degredation

View attachment 40349

Remove the shroud and backplate entirely

Useful view of those who weren't aware. The actual GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is only the chip, that's the part that Nvidia make. The entire board around it is the part that board partners design themselves based on reference requirements (or Nvidia for the founders edition models). But the actual silicon die is just like a CPU. Essentially a Graphics Card is very much the same as a micro computer, on the left, the silver square caps are the VRM's of the power supply (same as you'd find on a motherboard, them you have the VRAM chips (like RAM on a motherboard) just to the right of them nearer the GPU die and a couple to the right of the GPU die and 3 below it, then the GPU die itself. Really the rest to the far left is merely the PSU supply to the VRMs and to the right is the output stage to the connectors.

View attachment 40350

Clean the GPU die as best as possible with some isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.

View attachment 40351

Get the Founders Edition heatsink and shroud ready, it's pretty much one piece so really easy, and just 2 cables for lights and the fan. Apply some paste to the die, I realise this paste application is disgustingly poor!

View attachment 40352

Re do all the screws and attach the backplate

View attachment 40353

And done, card all back together.

Fingers crossed it works!!!

View attachment 40354
Amazing work! Did you replace thermal pads, or ar they still the ones that came with the FE? They look quite clean to me

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Amazing work! Did you replace thermal pads, or ar they still the ones that came with the FE? They look quite clean to me
As I recall, I didn’t use the card with the stock FE shroud, immediately swapped it when it arrived to the hybrid, but I could be a little off time wise there. If I did use it it was only for a few weeks I think.

So the thermal pads were good as new, so didn’t change them.

I haven’t done any proper benchmarks on the gpu to be sure it’s reaching optimal boosts yet.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Best series I think to date for price vs performance. They are built like tanks. The coolers aren’t as good as the RTX founders editions, and you had to set custom fan curves out of the box or they didn’t cool enough, but aside from that, they’re pretty amazing.

2000 series nvidia were not bad either, after that seemed to have gone down hill