Local Delicacies

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
We went out to our favourite taverna last night for the first time since last October. Bars, tavernas and cafes only opened in Greece 5 days ago since the start of lockdown last November.

At our favourite taverna we get small mezes for free whilst you decide what you want to order....
View attachment 25994
This is octopus salad and a special tzatziki with paximadia (twice-backed barley rusk type bread - traditionally Cretan).

We finished that and still hadn't decided what to order so they brought us another free mezze...
View attachment 25995
This is a bit more octopus salad on their special tzatziki and merides (whitebait).

What did we eventually order I hear you ask...?
View attachment 25996
The near one is mine, veal in a mushroom and Mavrodafni sauce (Mavrodafni is a Greek port-like wine) with baked potatoes and a small salad (underneath). My wife's is chicken, I forget what sauce it has but it's with fried potatoes (underneath)

You get a free dessert at this taverna too...
View attachment 25997
A kind of creme brullee served with the traditional raki. The Cretan equivalent of grappa - it's a digestive aid, well they claim it is....
OMG, that's simply my idea of heaven!

So glad you managed to get out, that's must have been lovely for you both aside from the great food!

Was it busy?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
OMG, that's simply my idea of heaven!

So glad you managed to get out, that's must have been lovely for you both aside from the great food!

Was it busy?
We always eat early (7:30pm) because the Greeks traditionally eat late, so there were plenty of spare tables at that time. I pass this taverna regularly when walking the dog in the evening and it's typically full. In normal times it's always heaving, especially later in the evening. It's right next to the famous (and deep) lake in town too, here's the view from our table...

20210508_203213.jpg

slimbob

Enthusiast
We always eat early (7:30pm) because the Greeks traditionally eat late, so there were plenty of spare tables at that time. I pass this taverna regularly when walking the dog in the evening and it's typically full. In normal times it's always heaving, especially later in the evening. It's right next to the famous (and deep) lake in town too, here's the view from our table...

View attachment 25998

My Dad and his best friend both travelled to Crete to trek through the Samaria Gorge about 10 years ago. They raved about the Gorge, the food and Crete as a whole. I am sure the dishes you posted tasted as good as they look. :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My Dad and his best friend both travelled to Crete to trek through the Samaria Gorge about 10 years ago. They raved about the Gorge, the food and Crete as a whole. I am sure the dishes you posted tasted as good as they look. :)
Ah Samaria. Long but overrated IMO. There are more interesting gorges in Crete. I've walked down it four times in all and walked up it once. Going up is a much much better experience it's just difficult to organise and you have to do the organising yourself.

I'm the good-looking one on the right...
IMG_0981.JPG

slimbob

Enthusiast
Ah Samaria. Long but overrated IMO. There are more interesting gorges in Crete. I've walked down it four times in all and walked up it once. Going up is a much much better experience it's just difficult to organise and you have to do the organising yourself.

I'm the good-looking one on the right...
View attachment 26026

Great picture, it really gives it some scale. I will have to tell my Dad what you said about the other gorges, I am pretty sure he only saw the Samaria, he will kick himself. How long have you lived in Crete if you don't mind me asking? Would you ever move anywhere else or have you found home sweet home. Crete really looks and sounds wonderful.
Cheers :)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Great picture, it really gives it some scale. I will have to tell my Dad what you said about the other gorges, I am pretty sure he only saw the Samaria, he will kick himself. How long have you lived in Crete if you don't mind me asking? Would you ever move anywhere else or have you found home sweet home. Crete really looks and sounds wonderful.
Cheers :)
Counting the time spent here on the boat, we've been here 15 years. Everyone does Samaria. :)

article_pork_yuk_sung.jpg

We have a local pub run by a really nice chinese couple who have a little sitdown resturant in the back or eat at the bar :) ive heard its not so rare in england but in wales its very hard to find yuk sung ( a good one ) a mince pork dish that you wrap in a lettuce leaf and dip into a really nice warm hosien sauce cannot recommend enough if you have not tried it very simple to make at home aswell

RichardDavies99

Bronze Level Poster
No mention of square sausage or Scotch pies yet?

I remember my local (sadly closed) Farm Foods having them in the frozen section. They used to have a lot of stuff my Mum wouldn't be caught dead buying but I would occasionally try in my early years of living alone.

Chips with gravy or curry sauce is quite a common thing near me in Stockport, the latter especially at Chinese run chip shops.

RichardDavies99

Bronze Level Poster
My Wife is Kenyan / Ugandan & often cooks up East African dishes for me.

Highlights include Mandazi, which are like doughnuts, but different shaped.

Chapatis that are crispier than the Indian ones, great with some home made beans in a sauce.

She also makes nice Samosas, & can fold the filo pastry neatly.

Being Pumpkin season we've been having a lot of soup, she prefers the green hard ones.

Stockport is lacking a decent world food shop for some of the ingredients so we often have to drive to Levenshulme or Longsight to buy them.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
We seem to have a few Northerners round these parts. We're taking over!
We’re more socially acceptable these days. A couple of years ago I was at McDonald’s in Cambridge picking up a cheeky lunchtime burger and the young Chinese lad who served me got somewhat overexcited when he heard me talk.

‘You sound like Game of Throne!’

And that’s not a typo, he left off the ‘s’

Bigfoot

Grand Master
No mention of square sausage or Scotch pies yet?

I remember my local (sadly closed) Farm Foods having them in the frozen section. They used to have a lot of stuff my Mum wouldn't be caught dead buying but I would occasionally try in my early years of living alone.

Chips with gravy or curry sauce is quite a common thing near me in Stockport, the latter especially at Chinese run chip shops.
Sausages and bacon are worth spending on to get quality. Square sausage seems to be made with all the bits that get rejected for use in normal sausages. Having lived in Scotland for almost half my life, I have tried it but won’t be rushing back. Scotch pies can be good, bad or just odd. I will never understand the rationale of topping a meat pie with macaroni.

RichardDavies99

Bronze Level Poster
We’re more socially acceptable these days. A couple of years ago I was at McDonald’s I’m Cambridge picking up a cheeky lunchtime burger and the young Chinese lad who served me got somewhat overexcited when he heard me talk.

‘You sound like Game of Throne!’

And that’s not a typo, he left off the ‘s’
Maybe he was thinking of House Bolton!? I've not really gotten into GOT, but my brother likes it.

I sound quite RP, which confuses people, especially when I Skyped a potential new girlfriend a few years ago who reckoned I sounded a lot posher than I looked.

RichardDavies99

Bronze Level Poster
Sausages and bacon are worth spending on to get quality. Square sausage seems to be made with all the bits that get rejected for use in normal sausages. Having lived in Scotland for almost half my life, I have tried it but won’t be rushing back. Scotch pies can be good, bad or just odd. I will never understand the rationale of topping a meat pie with macaroni.
Yes that's true.

I've heard of Mac & Cheese with steaks but not pies.