Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I've just stuck on Murder She Wrote on 5 USA. Rock n Roll Saturday nights!
Calm down, big lad! Someone fetch the straight jacket!

Is it just me or is the opening music to Murder She Wrote just an absolute work of genius???? Everytime I hear it I'm just blown away by the layering and how all the parts fit together.

It is a brilliant theme tune, it’s got everything! I think my favourite US crime show music belongs to Perry Mason.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It was a disappointing Murder She Wrote..... one of those ones that's not set in a house/place. She's rattling around town with a police friend telling him how to do his job.

Disappointed, would not recommend :cautious:

slimbob

Enthusiast
I'd marry Angela in a hearbeat!

she was a stunner! She is 95 now!

EVw4OkAX0AAO05U.jpg

slimbob

Enthusiast
Calm down, big lad! Someone fetch the straight jacket!

It is a brilliant theme tune, it’s got everything! I think my favourite US crime show music belongs to Perry Mason.

Perry Mason was superb and the music was so catchy and unforgettable :)

I loved the 1985 BBC drama series " Edge of Darkness"
The soundtrack was written by Michael Kamen & Eric Clapton.
(Not the 2010 movie starring Mel Gibson that was written by Howard Shore).
My Dad was a huge fan of the series and loved the music so much he bought the LP back in 1985 and still plays it all the time to this day with headphones on lying on his sofa. Here is a picture of it:

DSCN3485.JPG

Here is the music performed live by Eric Clapton :)

In my opinion it is such a haunting piece of music. What do you think?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I loved the 1985 BBC drama series " Edge of Darkness"
The BBC mini-series was great, but the Mel Gibson movie wasn't bad either.

Still have these on my 'must watch for the 5th or 6th time again list'...ripped when I got my Blu-Ray release a couple of years ago (to save wear/damage).
2021-08-23_11-16-18.png

It's a bit strange, that I have all the streaming services, yet still like a physical copy of some stuff to keep - especially this older stuff, and Criterion Collection films.

Last edited:

slimbob

Enthusiast
The BBC mini-series was great, but the Mel Gibson movie wasn't bad either.

Still have these on my 'must watch for the 5th or 6th time again list'...ripped when I got my Blu-Ray release a couple of years ago (to save wear/damage).
View attachment 28782

It's a bit strange, that I have all the streaming services, yet still like a physical copy of some stuff to keep - especially this older stuff, and Criterion Collection films.
Understand you liking physical copies of stuff, it's like buying a vinyl record compared to a mp3 download, buying the record is more like an event. :)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I wouldn't hold your breath.
Yeah… perhaps I’m being a little optimistic. It is an EA game, after all 🙄

I think WWII is easier to get on board with in shooter terms, the Nazis were awful and committed the greatest atrocities we’re likely to know of in our lifetimes. They’re an enemy you want to stop in no uncertain terms.

WWI is such a different bag, nobody was truly evil and millions of men died because they were essentially sold a lie by their leaders.

Nobody explains it better than Edmund Blackadder…

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Genuinely, Hugh Laurie is one of my favourite actors.

I've always been cynical about WW1, but that's another kettle of fish altogether.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
WWI is such a different bag, nobody was truly evil and millions of men died because they were essentially sold a lie by their leaders.

Nobody explains it better than Edmund Blackadder…

While the ending of the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth was very poignant, that clip was pretty much the lead up into it and is possibly my favourite bit of the entire Blackadder saga. The deadpan delivery of the punchline to that story is just perfect!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Genuinely, Hugh Laurie is one of my favourite actors.

I've always been cynical about WW1, but that's another kettle of fish altogether.
Yeah, perhaps another conversation for another thread. I’ll just read you one of my war poems before we let the thread get back on track. It’s called ‘The German Guns’

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM…

(Points to anyone who can finish it)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
House wouldn't have been possible without Hugh Laurie, he made that what it is.
See, I never actually watched House but my dad was borderline obsessed with it. I’d only ever known him as a comedian from Fry and Laurie and his bungling performances in Blackadder the Third and Blackadder Goes Forth.

It was only when I saw him in The Night Manager that I saw an actor who owned any scene he was in (no mean feat when you’re sharing screen time with Tom Hollander) and was actually a bit unnerving to watch.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
House is the best TV Series ever made IMO. It's fantastic. It absolutely wouldn't be what it is without Hugh Laurie as Greg House. When he gets a character, he absolutely becomes that character (Night Manager also).

I would highly recommend House to just about anyone. It has similar ailments to Scrubs and other series, but with a slightly more morbid twist and with a completely unsympathetic angle. It's very unique. The premise is similar across all the series, so you know what you're going to get for daily plot lines...... the growth and development of the characters and the slow burn into the insight of House himself is simply palatable. All the actors did a fine job but Hugh absolutely owned the show.

I've went out my way to watch things with him in them since. Avenue 5 was an unfortunate low point, not poor acting from him.... he does fine... just poor choice of work for him.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
House is the best TV Series ever made IMO. It's fantastic. It absolutely wouldn't be what it is without Hugh Laurie as Greg House. When he gets a character, he absolutely becomes that character (Night Manager also).

I would highly recommend House to just about anyone.
I was pretty hardcore into playing Ra-Ra and getting up to other shenanigans around the time House was in it’s ascendency, hence my blind spot for the series.

My Da has them all on DVD, I’ll do a tactical ‘borrow’ when I see him next 👍