Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don't really watch serie, but did you watch Alice in borderland ?
If i'm not wrong, it's pretty much the same kind of serie that Squid Game
I guess, maybe ? ^^"

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don't really watch serie, but did you watch Alice in borderland ?
If i'm not wrong, it's pretty much the same kind of serie that Squid Game
I guess, maybe ? ^^"
Yes, similar battle royale theme with some sacrificial, some team, some individual, and some almost impossible games that you could dip in and out of if you didn't feel like it - although you had to do at least one each gaming period or you were knocked out by means of a laser through the head.

IIRC, in AiB they were taken against their will and transported to an alternate/future Tokyo. At the start it seems they thought they had to fight/win to get back to their old life, but a large group decided to make the most of it...and of course things invariably go wrong.

Bhuna50

Author Level
OK - Better Than Us - wasnt better and by the end of the series it had really dragged on a bit - I think they could have cut it at 10 episodes really, but they have to drag on the baddies somehow I suppose LOL. It was ok and I dont feel like I wasted time watching it, but following Squid Game and 3%, I was a little disappointed.

did you watch Alice in borderland

No - but I am now......and I no longer want to go out and play Tag with my friends.... LOL :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What's the verdict on Equaliser? I'm all for equal rights, but I'm happy with diversity and acceptable division as well. I never saw the role having a female persona personally so it never sat right with me (much like Ghostbusters).

PS... that moves me onto a current fear. The new Bond movie is well worth a watch, but be careful with your inquisitive eyebrows.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Watched Midnight Mass and yeah it's everything I thought it would be. Very good performances and great writing but my god is it long, they also don't hold back on the 10minute monologues every episode

I enjoyed it but I wouldn't recommend it, these guys making these shows need to work on being concise to be honest. A lot of reiteration and going over the same things over and over to pad out a season. Make it 4 episodes and it would have been killer

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Watched Midnight Mass and yeah it's everything I thought it would be. Very good performances and great writing but my god is it long, they also don't hold back on the 10minute monologues every episode

I enjoyed it but I wouldn't recommend it, these guys making these shows need to work on being concise to be honest. A lot of reiteration and going over the same things over and over to pad out a season. Make it 4 episodes and it would have been killer
Weird you mention Midnight Mass, it showed up on my feed tonight and started watching it, currently a little way through episode one.

I'm already liking it, just the intro to the characters, the first scene in the jail cell made me realise it was up my street.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Weird you mention Midnight Mass, it showed up on my feed tonight and started watching it, currently a little way through episode one.

I'm already liking it, just the intro to the characters, the first scene in the jail cell made me realise it was up my street.
It's definitely one of those shows you'll either love it or really really hate it

I really liked it, it's exactly the kind of show I love. She hated it, thought it was long drawn out and boring. I can see why anyone would think that and it's fair, just happens that sort of thing generally doesn't bother me too much especially when performed so well.

We both agreed it was really well acted though

Bhuna50

Author Level
It's definitely one of those shows you'll either love it or really really hate it

I really liked it, it's exactly the kind of show I love. She hated it, thought it was long drawn out and boring. I can see why anyone would think that and it's fair, just happens that sort of thing generally doesn't bother me too much especially when performed so well.

I started watching it (half way through Ep 3) and I do like it but felt it was one of those series I need to actually pay full attention to rather than do other things at the same time (like work / forum / shoot things) so I have put it to one side at the moment :D LOL

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I started watching it (half way through Ep 3) and I do like it but felt it was one of those series I need to actually pay full attention to rather than do other things at the same time (like work / forum / shoot things) so I have put it to one side at the moment :D LOL
Yeah the conversations are fairly in-depth which I loved, it's definitely a put the phone down show

I liked how the handled a lot of the topics too, some of them fairly close to home for me and they didn't go for the usual clichés which I really appreciated

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I dont know if anyone watched it, but if they did, Netflix has just released the second series of Another Life
I did watch the first series, but not sure I was enamoured enough to watch a second series - especially with so much better offering out there.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Seen the new Halloween on Saturday some spoilers below.

Yeah I was honestly pretty disappointed. It was shot really well and the music was incredible but it's like they took everything they nailed with 2018 and threw it out the window. Too much horror cliche's and too many dumb decisions by characters who did nothing but make competent decisions in 2018. Felt like the characters went backwards in a sense. That annoyed me the most just how often I wanted to facepalm at the stupid decisions to split up or dropping weapons and suchs. So annoying especially when they set such a high bar. I'm repeating myself

Michael himself is the biggest disappointment, they went back to the supernatural angle which bugged me a hell of a lot and they bascially made him Jason. They took everything that was great about Big Mike and basically threw it out for "cool" kills and taking on mobs of people. Again this is stuff that Jason does not Mike. So frustrating

Also watched Dr. Sleep which I was very reluctant to watch. Didn't see how a sequel to The Shining could be anything but terrible..... my god I couldn't be more wrong. It's genuinely one of the best films I've seen in a while. Brilliant concepts, characters, throwbacks, music, effects, everything just nailed it. 10/10 Strongly recommend this

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Saw a recommendation on Netflix for an anthology series from Neill Blomkamp...called Oats Studios. Which seems to be a collection of 'experimental video shorts (8-20 mins) of various quality made in 2017 (by Blomkamp's owned Oats Studios ;)) on the subject of post-apocalyptic futures.

Some are good, some weird, and some just confusing...and as there's very little to connect them, it just seems like Netflix paid him some cash to take whatever 'unreleased' stuff he had on his cutting room floor.

There are some notable names in there (e.g. Sigourney Weaver in Rakka, Dakota Fanning in Zygote) and their films are decent.

What annoys me a little, is that they're all like some of the short story anthologies I buy from my favourite authors, in that they were never released as they seem to be unfinished and possibly ideas for longer novels that never worked out. So after each episode/story you turn the page and...

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Saw a recommendation on Netflix for an anthology series from Neill Blomkamp...called "". Which seems to be a collection of video shorts (8-20 mins) of various quality made in 2017.

Some are good, some weird, and some just confusing...and as there's very little to connect them, it just seems like Netflix paid him some cash to take whatever 'unreleased' stuff he had on his cutting room floor.

There are some notable names in there (e.g. Sigourney Weaver, Dakota Fanning) and their films are decent.

What pees me off a little, is that they're all like some of the short story anthologies I buy from my favourite authors, in that they were never released as they seem to be unfinished and possibly ideas for longer novels that never worked out. So after each episode/story you turn the page and...
Yeah that's his OATS studios stuff. It's all on Steam too weirdly enough, Zygotte is awesome

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I'm quite into it now, just finished episode 4.

Although it is longwinded, I don't think it's done unnecessarily or to the detriment of the series, if anything, I think the rich characters add to the depth. It's a really interesting take on religion, forgiveness and innocence in a way that is quite riské really, I'm sure it will be quite offensive to some.

It's fairly transparent, I kinda guessed what was happening when Pruitt was first seen on the beach during the storm, but for me, it's more about the people who didn't take mass and how they're going to feature later on.

Really cleverly done.

Really appreciate the pointer, really enjoying it (y)