Lockdown - What's Worth a Watch?

Bhuna50

Author Level
I've just started watching the series "Black Mirror" on Netflix - quite an old series by the looks of it, but cant remember ever seeing this on Channel 4.

If anyone is old enough to remember and like Twilight Zone, I think you would enjoy these, albeit a strange choice of storylines to start the series 1 off with LOL :D

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I've just started watching the series "Black Mirror" on Netflix - quite an old series by the looks of it, but cant remember ever seeing this on Channel 4.

If anyone is old enough to remember and like Twilight Zone, I think you would enjoy these, albeit a strange choice of storylines to start the series 1 off with LOL :D
I assume you mean the original series of the Twilight Zone. They were often repeated late at night on BBC2. If you like that, you would probably also enjoy the Outer Limits from the early 1960s.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Black Mirror is a great collection, I’m surprised you’ve not heard of it. Some of Charlie Brooker’s best work. ‘Shut Up and Dance’ is a brilliant episode 👍👍👍

Bhuna50

Author Level
Black Mirror is a great collection, I’m surprised you’ve not heard of it. Some of Charlie Brooker’s best work. ‘Shut Up and Dance’ is a brilliant episode 👍👍👍
Just watched that episode and all I can say is all of them have been sheer brilliance from start to finish. I really cannot believe I missed this coming out back then. Each episode has me gripped, trying to work it out etc - utter amazing stories etc.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’ve been on a bit of a Scorsese mission recently, re-watching some of his work… including The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

Imagine my surprise when Mrs Cooper said that Joker had dropped on Amazon Prime and suggested we watch it tonight. Christ on a bike, it’s both an homage and a love letter to those two movies… and Bob De Niro is in it! Mind-boggling!

I thought it was a great film, although it didn’t necessarily need to be a Joker story, it could have represented the slow descent into anarchy of anyone, much like Michael Douglas in Falling Down (another good movie, if you’ve not seen it). But it’s definitely the best from DC since Nolan’s movies.

Absolute powerhouse of a performance from Joaquin Phoenix, I’ve always been on the fence about him previously (I’ve used the Gladiator sticky out tongue gif a lot over the years) but was captivated from the start to the end. And it’s dark in the best kind of way, the film left us both feeling uneasy and having a long conversation about the stigma and management of mental health issues. Haven’t had that unease since the first time I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’ve been on a bit of a Scorsese mission recently, re-watching some of his work… including The King of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

Imagine my surprise when Mrs Cooper said that Joker had dropped on Amazon Prime and suggested we watch it tonight. Christ on a bike, it’s both an homage and a love letter to those two movies… and Bob De Niro is in it! Mind-boggling!

I thought it was a great film, although it didn’t necessarily need to be a Joker story, it could have represented the slow descent into anarchy of anyone, much like Michael Douglas in Falling Down (another good movie, if you’ve not seen it). But it’s definitely the best from DC since Nolan’s movies.

Absolute powerhouse of a performance from Joaquin Phoenix, I’ve always been on the fence about him previously (I’ve used the Gladiator sticky out tongue gif a lot over the years) but was captivated from the start to the end. And it’s dark in the best kind of way, the film left us both feeling uneasy and having a long conversation about the stigma and management of mental health issues. Haven’t had that unease since the first time I saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
Regarding Joaquin, first film I rembered seeing him in was 8mm with Nick Cage. The film itself drew a lot of derision bit I thought it was great, and not a typical Hollywood effort of the time. Joaquin had a great role in that film.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Regarding Joaquin, first film I rembered seeing him in was 8mm with Nick Cage. The film itself drew a lot of derision bit I thought it was great, and not a typical Hollywood effort of the time. Joaquin had a great role in that film.
Yes! I remember being quite invested in that movie! A fairly understated performance from Cage, very little scenery was chewed. And possibly (correct me if I’m wrong) the first modern Hollywood movie to delve into the horror that is a snuff film. Creepy, and may warrant a re-watch to see how it holds up 👍👍👍

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes! I remember being quite invested in that movie! A fairly understated performance from Cage, very little scenery was chewed. And possibly (correct me if I’m wrong) the first modern Hollywood movie to delve into the horror that is a snuff film. Creepy, and may warrant a re-watch to see how it holds up 👍👍👍
I've watched it a few times since, and for me it still holds up.

The baddy, Peter Stormare, is a real favourite actor of mine, he's always great and always plays quite unusual (and dark) characters.

Gandolfini as well as the sidekick was very welcomed.

Great film.

I still haven't watched Joker, it's in my lineup list, but very much looking forward to it (y)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The baddy, Peter Stormare, is a real favourite actor of mine, he's always great and always plays quite unusual (and dark) characters.
And Russian.

Poor old Pete is lumbered with that accent in 90% of his roles, despite being Swedish. You’re spot on, though. He’s a brilliant actor. I loved his brief cameo in Constantine as a grim sexy Satan. White suit and oily feet? Dirty boy.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And Russian.

Poor old Pete is lumbered with that accent in 90% of his roles, despite being Swedish. You’re spot on, though. He’s a brilliant actor. I loved his brief cameo in Constantine as a grim sexy Satan. White suit and oily feet? Dirty boy.
And lest we forget the seriously odd role in Big Lebowski. So funny and just so odd🤣